[News]: The COLLOSAL SQUID of Te Papa - The Wellingtonista

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

The COLLOSAL SQUID of Te Papa
[SIZE=-1]The Wellingtonista, New Zealand - 9 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Te Papa, the natural history museum of New Zealand, is now housing the Collosal Squid. That's right, it's a COLLOSAL SQUID. Squidzilla! Squid-Ra! ...[/SIZE]

More...

That is a SERIOUS bubble problem :sad: I thought the cover was slightly concave to take care of the issue?

ob;130002 said:
That is a SERIOUS bubble problem :sad: I thought the cover was slightly concave to take care of the issue?

According to my sources they emptied the tank partially to fix a leak and when they refilled it the bubbles occurred.? They are looking at all sorts of ideas to get them out of there.

ob;130013 said:
Magnetic thingy, as suggested by Stickybeak (Em), would do the trick...

Yes, well she is denying being a Squid geek, so how could she have come up with a such a brilliant solution?

I think they are reluctant to open the tank again just in case it gets damaged.

So maybe they will go for an easier option, ultrasound???? I personally would have gone with the sticky beak option from the get go.

:cool2: Of course I rule - females always give sensible suggestions. I think they aren't willing to open the tank more than absolutely necessary - I will find out what the latest thoughts are... the ironbeak comment has been noted

ob;130013 said:
Magnetic thingy, as suggested by Stickybeak (Em), would do the trick...

The magnetic thingy would be quite tricky as the lid is too thick - it would require a humungous magnet, and if the inside brush section thingy part dropped off it would not be recoverable (and it was an option considered earlier before being relegated to the microwave files). The bubbles are a by-product of mixing the glycol with water: the tank lid areas that were not in contact with liquid as it was mixed are bubble free, and the micro bubbles are too small to overcome the tension holding them to the lid, otherwise they would travel up the slope as designed!! Options being considered are the ultrasound and a partial draining of the tank once the number of visitors drops (which at present there is no sign of happening until after the school holidays, maybe).

Experience is something that you have once you no longer need it. Sigh.

myopsida;130020 said:
The magnetic thingy would be quite tricky as the lid is too thick - it would require a humungous magnet, and if the inside brush section thingy part dropped off it would not be recoverable (and it was an option considered earlier before being relegated to the microwave files). The bubbles are a by-product of mixing the glycol with water: the tank lid areas that were not in contact with liquid as it was mixed are bubble free, and the micro bubbles are too small to overcome the tension holding them to the lid, otherwise they would travel up the slope as designed!! Options being considered are the ultrasound and a partial draining of the tank once the number of visitors drops (which at present there is no sign of happening until after the school holidays, maybe).

Experience is something that you have once you no longer need it. Sigh.

Bugger! Yes hindsight is a great thing..

myopsida;130020 said:
....and it was an option considered earlier before being relegated to the microwave files

.... I still think you should have microwaved it!!

myopsida;130020 said:
The bubbles are a by-product of mixing the glycol with water: the tank lid areas that were not in contact with liquid as it was mixed are bubble free, and the micro bubbles are too small to overcome the tension holding them to the lid, otherwise they would travel up the slope as designed!!

Would changing the temperature (say with a hair dryer) over the effected area cause enough moisture to rise and grow the bubbles?

I had a talk to our Conservator Robert Clendon about the bubble issue today - and I've put up a post on Te Papa's squid blog about it. We really don't want to open the tank again in a hurry and certainly not until the team are back in early January after the Christmas break.

We're still hoping that the bubbles will slowly get together all on their own and disappear - then the hundreds of people coming to see the colossal squid will get a better view of it in the tank. They need to be able to see that great stitching that you guys did.....

Seems like the whole issue could be cleared up by vibrating the tank lid a bit. You know, help the bubbles over the small abrasions. I'd knock it a couple times with a rubber mallet, see if they move at all. As the bubbles join together they get bigger and can get over any small bumps on the glass. Vibration will just help them meet.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back