[News]: Squid fishery kills 15 endangered sea lions - Scoop.co.nz (press release)

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
Squid fishery kills 15 endangered sea lions
[SIZE=-1]Scoop.co.nz (press release), New Zealand - 12 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The southern squid fishery has killed an estimated 15 endangered New Zealand sea lions in the first two weeks of the fishing season. ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Sea lions killed in squid season [SIZE=-1]New Zealand Herald (Subscription)[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 4 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

At the risk of sounding totally negative and depressing they've probably killed rather more than that. If any were female....her pup on shore will die of starvation and she would've been pregnant too :cry: Also the boats that weren't carrying observers probably didn't report any they caught :mad:

We have (if I say so myself) an interesting paper coming out in a couple of weeks that talks about this squid fishery, and potential cascading effects through food chains (and how these can effect cetacean and pinniped diet). Will let you know when it's published.

Tragic stuff!

There simply is no need for trawling squid; we should return to jigging and be done with all pinniped mortality, in addition to catching better-quality squid for retail.

Just absolutely dreadful. I always understood that "Gettin' Jiggy With It" was the best way to catch premium-quality market squid. What is with this trawling? Are we just talking bottom-line greed?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back