[News]: School of giant squid found in local waters - OCRegister

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
School of giant squid found in local waters
[SIZE=-1]OCRegister, CA - 9 hours ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Eighteen anglers on a Newport Landing Sportfishing boat came back early this morning with a boat full of giant squid, also known as Humbolt squid, ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FISH REPORT [SIZE=-1]Los Angeles Times[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]FISH REPORT [SIZE=-1]Los Angeles Times[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]all 3 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

Here is my note to the author:

Courtney,

The TONMO.com community and I would like to share some information we hope you will find helpful:

To cephalopod experts, Humbolt squid are considered "jumbo", not "giant".

Giant Squid are of the genus Architeuthis, and they are a very different animal (and far more rare) than the Humbolt.

Colossal Squid is the name given to Mesonychoteuthis hamoltini -- it is considered to be the largest squid known to man and very few specimens have ever been observed.

We've seen many articles from OCRegister and other periodicals providing West coast fishing reports that refer to Humbolt squid as Giant Squid. We feel the local fishing community should know that these are properly considered "jumbo"!

Best regards,

-----------------------------------------------------------
Tony Morelli -- CEO, Deep Intuition, LLC
TONMO.com: TONMO Cephalopod Community
BottomTrawling.com: http://www.bottomtrawling.com
SquidShop.com: SquidShop.com is for sale | HugeDomains
Deep Intuition, LLC: Deep Intuition, LLC
Phone: 215-606-8977

Thanks Tony; I'm growing tired of the mix-up myself (and perhaps it is the Humboldt that the other octobot post was referring to as a 'breeding ground of giant squid').

It's annoying. I fired off a message to Keith Olbermann when he called a messie a Giant squid. Somebody on the staffs of newspapers and news shows should be capable of doing a bit of research.

It annoys me, too. To all journalists (real or nominal), here are some mnemonic devices that work for me:

Colossal mess = Mesonychoteuthis
Giant arch = Architeuthis
Jumbo dose = Dosidicus
Lightning squid of death from hell = Taningia

Some squid expert from NZ came up with that last one.:twisted:

Cheers,
Clem

I have had to deal with the Orange County Register in correcting some facts about marine mammals before (years ago, maybe there are some new staff now...). Let's just say this for now :silenced: and good luck!

Almost every "giant" squid link that I see concerns dosidicus gigas, not our buddy archie. Most annoying, not that I object to stories about jumbo, mind you...

erich orser;89200 said:
Most annoying, not that I object to stories about jumbo, mind you...
Right, exactly, I'm happy to hear about what the California fisheries (and whoever else) are observing re: jumbo activity, but when you see a headline that says, "school of giant squid found in local waters", well, that means something else entirely!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back