[News]: Oil Tanker Splits

Its sad that it always take a tradgedy to induce change. Will double hulled tankers be enough? Maybe I ought not put a political foot in my mouth but here it goes - Why are we still using so much oil anyway? There are so many other ways to fuel our electronic lives :roll: , but somebody somewhere is just too stubborn to let go. It makes me very sad.

I agree - and am afraid our oil consumption will continue until the planet's supply is gone, since industries don't seem to feel any real pressure to develop/switch to alternate fuel sources. Otherwise, someone needs to come up with a very cheap alternative, and oil prices need to skyrocket.

Oil Tanker Splits

I'm not sure that double hulls will be enough. My Dad is a retired Marine Engineer Surveyor (was at sea for many years then had some 20 years on shore doing safety surveys on vessels) and he's of the opinion that nothing will be solved while these vessels can be registered under a flag of convenience (this ship was I believe registered in the Bahama's!!! :shock: ). In these cases the ships are not rigorously looked after, and the crews are often poorly trained and frankly are accidents looking for places to happen. From what I understand the pilot who took it through the Baltic felt it was unsafe and nearly reported it......ah hindsight!

Jean

:biggrin2: :biggrin2: :biggrin2: Jean I like that golden rule of science. I think that in mans' mad thirst to take dominion over the earth ,that gold has had more to do with its destruction than anything else. I find that to observe nature and how it exemplifies harmony and resolution, is to understand, that no dominion is needed. Maybe the giant squid is quite wise in remaining at great depths. It avoids contact with the monsters of the land accept in the final hours of its life. Perhaps it is the secret of its continued exsistance. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: To view its illusive beauty, during life, would be a privilage indeed! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back