[News]: National Geographic covers Colossal Squid story

Good Lord. Steve really was frothing at the mouth.

download.php

Kat, how do you keep your office so tidy????????? Mine usually looks like a Messi went on a rampage though it :biggrin2: Even down to bits of squid in bottles artistically dropped whereever I happened to be at the time :lol:

J

Here's my half a cent:

"They say the species is the biggest and most fearsome squid known to science and could grow to 40 feet (12 meters) in length—longer than a whale."

WHAT whale? :lol: There are a lot of VERY small whale species. Hell, I'M longer than a few whales out there...

"Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, which later became a Disney movie, featured an encounter between a colossal squid and a French naval vessel."

Duh, it was also a NOVEL, not real....

"Thought to be only the second intact example ever recovered, the massive cephalopod was armed with four huge beaks and rotating hooks along its tentacles and arms."

"Twin Beaks"... Sounds like an exciting cephalopod TV series... Now, if we could only lure David Duchovny outta retirement...

"New Zealand squid expert Steve O'Shea, from Auckland University of Technology, has described the squid as 'a true monster.' He told the BBC: 'Giant squid is no longer the largest squid that's out there. We've got something that's even larger, and not just larger but an order of magnitude meaner.'
"Auckland University of Technology research associate Kat Bolstad, also talking to the BBC, added: 'This animal, armed as it is with the hooks and the beak that it has, not only is colossal in size but is going to be a phenomenal predator and something you are not going to want to meet in the water.'
"Other scientists dismiss such claims."

So these other scientists WANT to be in the water uncaged with a live massive squid? Yeah right... I've seen people cringe at a dead Dosidicus...

"There is also an account of sailors being attacked by a giant squid after their ship sunk during the Second World War. At least one sailor was supposedly eaten. And even this year, French yachtsmen taking part in the appropriately named Jules Verne Trophy reported that a 26-foot-long (8-meter) squid clamped itself to their boat."

The first story I read a few years ago... Creepy as hell, but the sailors said that he was taken, not exactly eaten, though I would assume that is the logical outcome (I doubt anyone could have kept their sanity seeing that).

The French yachstmen who reported the giant squid have since admitted that it was a hoax.

Aye, that they did... I was suspicious when they reported that the squid was singing "Alouette".

Steve and Kat, you both really deserve props for being quoted in National Geographic and I congratulate the both of you. Thanks for bringing the world or marine bio a little closer to the surface. Please don't be too hard on them though; sensationalism sells magazines, and we do happen to live in an era where Cosmo outsells Scientific American (the latter featuring a fascinating story on alternate universe theories this month - Just thought I would fish for any other people who love cosmology). Keep the education flowing, and your message will be heard.

If not, you can fake it and sell it to American TV as a new reality show...

Sushi and Sake,

John

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back