[News] Large ammonite found at Moscow

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Now that I've got your attention, I'm afraid to report it's not that big and details are scant. Nonetheless, as ammonite news is as rare as a giant squid sighting, here goes anyway:

Russian News Agency said:
Huge mollusk shell found outside Moscow

MOSCOW, September 5 (RIA Novosti) - A local resident of Dubna, a scientific center outside Moscow, discovered an enormous mollusk shell that presumably dates back to the Jurassic period.

The shell is 50cm long and 30cm wide and weighs 11kg. Earlier, the Dubna resident discovered elements of ancient shells on his plot, but had never found an entire shell until now.

Experts classified the find as the shell of an ammonite, a species that lived on the territory on which the Moscow region is now located and died out about 250 million years ago, shortly before the dinosaur era.

Huge mollusk shell found outside Moscow

CapnNemo said:
That is pretty big though isn't it? How big did they get?

Not bad, not bad. Have a look at this thread for details on the largest ammonites ever found. It's a shock....

Phil said:
It's a shock....

THAT was an understatement!

:shock:

Wow! Thanks!

It's 23:04 here, I've just eaten tons of cheese and I'm off to bed, hopefully the combination of diary products and mindblowing fossil pictures will create vivid Giant Ammonite dreams!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back