(NEWS): Invasion of the Jumbo Squid

Phil

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
News from Chile yesterday via the European Space Agency. Waters around Chile have been invaded by large numbers of Dosidicus due to temperature changes in the water:

Masses of large ocean-going squid have inundated the shores of Southern Chile, alarming local fishermen who fear these carnivorous invaders could threaten fish stocks. Envisat has helped account for their otherwise mysterious arrival.

These jumbo flying squid – Dosidicus gigas is their Latin name – are some of the largest known squids on the planet: the ones here measure between 70 to 150 centimetres in length, although specimens have been known to reach more than three metres. Making their home in the open ocean, they rise to the surface at night to aggressively feed on small fish using barbed suckers.....

Full story available here:

Envisat fishes up facts behind Chilean giant squid invasion

It must be George Bush's fault.
"flying squid" ?? hmmm.
cool story...like that site too !

Oooooooooooooooh! Humboldts!

Yeah, it probably is George Bush's fault. Or maybe he pland on defeating the menace of the humbolts by slaughtering great white sharks. I'd say so, given his response to the 9/11 attacks.

"We must defeat the jumbo squids by taking out the great white sharks in order to preserve the american way of life near the beaches that could be hideouts for squid sympathizers and offshore funding for squid munitions, and also 'cause we got some real neat new ships we have to use so I can get more funding from the taxpayers of this great nation, united under god ! "
Or something like that.

Awwww man, I so wish I was there. Large numbers of Humboldt to weigh and measure, to cut open, get stomach info and statoliths :heee:

God...I'm such a geek.. :oops:

TPOTH

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back