[News]: Giant Squid Deaths Puzzle Scientists

Discussion in 'Physiology and Biology' started by tonmo, Sep 16, 2003.

1. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

2. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

OK, really interesting; nice bit of skin on the mantle of the illustrated specimen, but there still appears to be a lot of skin abrasion that is consistent with having been through a trawl (and having been discarded).

Can anyone tell me if any new fishery (or established fishery) operating ~ 250-600 metres occurs off this coast, and what the local bathymetry is off this area?

We've now had five caught here over the past few months (winter-spawning population). If these are females (they have to be, the one ~ 40 feet in length) then they are FULLY mature (and likely spent). If these are true strandings (as in stranding post portem, natural mortality) then this female must be spent. Does anyone have any contact details/persons so that we can get to the bottom of the autopsy?

Money on it that the regularity in periodicity of capture is related to the breeding cycle of the animal in the general vicinity (rather than global warming ... I doubt this to be the case).
    Cheers (great post)
    O

3. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Well, here's another one of CNN's trademark "let's tell 'em NOTHING articles":

Spain records squid deaths

Food for thought. Sorry its been awhile since my last post. 8)

Sushi and Sake,

John

[/url]

4. Bald Evil

Bald Evil Cuttlefish Registered

OMG! GLOBAL WARMING IS DEPLETING OUR GIANT SQUID POPULATION! This can only be another one of Blofeld's insidious schemes...

5. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

6. Ogross

Ogross Pygmy Octopus Registered

navy the cause for squid death?

Hi

Enn gives new story on the spanish squid issue:

Spanish navy shocks blamed for giant squid deaths
    http://www.enn.com/news/2003-09-19/s_8591.asp

[edited by tonmo, full article can't be reproduced here, try link above :) ]

7. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Well at least it ain't something thats going to stay for long. But I still ain't happie.....4 lives too many... :x

8. Melissa

Melissa Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Reminds me of the suspicion that US sonar caused whale deaths in the Carribean. Who's the real pirate there? Arrr! :x

Melissa

9. Clem

Ogross,

Thanks for posting that ENN/Reuters item. While I'm sure his heart is in the right place, I think Mr. Laria's categorical claim that sonar killed these Architeuthis is indefensible. Unless he personally examined the dead squid and determined which physical structures were compromised by the Hesperides sonar (something most every teuthologist would love to know about), blaming the ship's sonar smacks of agenda-driven opportunism.

It's odd that neither Reuters story has mentioned the two possible causes of death which Steve O'Shea suggested: that the squid were trawled in nets and discarded, or that they died after spawning. Perhaps Mr. Laria was uncomfortable laying blame on the local fisheries or discussing Archie's sex life, but I suspect that he's simply out of his depth.

:x

Clem

10. Clem

[​IMG]

One of the giant squid that was collected in the Asturian region of Spain made its way to the Musée de la Mer in Biarritz, in 2002. Click here to see photos of the squid in its acrylic sarcophagus, and navigate to other aspects of the presentation using the menu at the bottom of the page. Concours de dessin is a gallery of children's drawings of the squid.

These French-language cephalopod posters are too damn good looking. Will you look at the colors on that poster? It's beautiful. I want it.

:yelling:

Clem, screaming "WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN'--"

11. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Ah so thats where calamari came from... I wonder, does it stink even after the squid is in the sarcophagus?

12. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

:? Huh?

BOE, Neil, Carol, and Steve

13. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Clem,

My Dad always used to say, usually when one of us Kids had been whining all day "I want doesn't get"!

Nevertheless I

"WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN' IT WAN'--" too!!!!

J

14. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

:lol:

15. Clem

Hmmm.

Just found a strange little film of the Biarritz Architeuthis. It's a black-and-white video of the squid lying in it's sarcophagus, with a sound track of ambient hospital noise. Dead simple and slightly creepy.

Biarritz Architeuthis In Hospital

:goofysca:

16. TPOTH

TPOTH Vampyroteuthis Registered

[​IMG]
    Roswell-like? what's the point? can't see a friggin' thing :x
    Perfectly good footage ruined by "art"... *grumbles* *mumbles* :roll: :evil:

*shrugs* it's not like i don't have a giant squid next door :heee:

TPOTH

17. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

It looks like an outtake from Eraserhead. I liked the eerie sounds though; reminds me of my mother.

18. Infusoria

Infusoria Vampyroteuthis Registered

I've got a video camera and I (don't) know how to use it.

Utter crap.

19. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Oh Dear.............how's the Lit review coming Matt? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

J

20. Infusoria

Infusoria Vampyroteuthis Registered

Oh Dear.............how's the Lit review coming Matt? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

J[/quote]

Ask me a question about orange roughy, any question... Go on, you know you want to :P

I've got the 1st draft back and am now very, very humble. Apparently I can make 12,000 words become 6,000. I figure if I take out all the letter e's that should shorten it a bit.

vwls r rvrytd :P