[News] Giant Nautiloid discovered in Arkansas

.... "They left their nautiloid where they found it, in a 30-foot-deep excavation somewhere in west Washington County, declining to be more specific of the whereabouts."

Go figure!

Someone must be snooping in on my emails, as I just made a pitch a couple of days ago .... to rescue or fund the expedition to recover something like this, and to reconstruct the puppy (in terms of anatomy).

Great news!

Steve O'Shea said:
Someone must be snooping in on my emails, as I just made a pitch a couple of days ago .... to rescue or fund the expedition to recover something like this, and to reconstruct the puppy (in terms of anatomy).

Oh Steve, Imperator of the tantalising hint, this is going to be something to watch.....

On the subject of the story, anyone like to hazard a guess as to the identity of the giant Carboniferous nautiloid?

Architeuthoceras said:
I'll put 10 bucks on Rayonnoceras

Hmm....thanks for that suggestion Kevin.

Here's a nice fossil of Rayonnoceras. This was a 342-327 million year old large orthocerid nautiloid. It kept the shell orientated horizontally by creating heavy (cameral) deposits in the siphuncle of the shell which acted as a counterweight to the head. The siphuncle, as can be seen from the picture, did not run through the centre of the shell, but was sub-ventral. (From Paleobase 2).

Attachments

• conv_288426.jpg
    conv_288426.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 101

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back