[News] Did trilobites hide from nautiloids?

The one I'm refering to is labeled as a Palolo species. Sorry I haven't gotten the photo up yet. I forgot. Here's a good picture...
image.php

monty;108589 said:
didn't Mote also have an exhibit of "fireworms" or something like that which had some nasty sting? I've only SCUBA'ed in the Pacific, but I flagged those as something to learn to recognize if I dive in the Atlantic (particularly considering my propensity to flip over rocks to find the interesting invertebrates) yup, google confirms they are a type of bristleworm: http://marinebio.org/species.asp?id=292 :goofysca:

Yes, Fireworms are nasty and capable of stinging whatever they touch. I have pulled a couple out of my tanks at least a foot long, about as big around as a #2 pencil. They sometimes eat zoanthid polyps :mad:. There was a post on my local aquarium societies forum quite a while back about someone getting stung. The "bristles" stuck in their finger, looked like they had stuck their finger in a cactus. Only caused mild irritation, but from my understanding the effects can vary.

ti0087.jpg
This is a "Bearded" Fireworm. Fairly easy to distinguish from the more common bristleworms that are pretty harmless.

I have the usual over abundance of common ones but there is one that looks no different (pink with brissels) than the others EXCEPT it can stretch to 1' in length. We rarely see it as it lives under my brain corals sand filled plastic dish at the bottom of a 3' deep tank and, fortunately in this case, my arm only reaches in about 1.5'. It does not seem to bother anything but always causes excitement when it decides to show itself so I am glad to know someone else has grown them this big.

Monty, the IS the display I was talking about.

That's an amazing piece, tornoceras. I guess he'd have had to burrow into the shell. Crack a hole in one side and crawl in. Maybe he was trapped though. His head's still on, and that's not typical for molts from the silica formation at least, and that's where I find my eldredgeops. But yours is pretty tiny by comparison. But if he was hiding from a mudflow, then got covered, that'd make sense. Of course, if he hid there shortly after molting to harden up his shell, and then same scenario, likewise.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back