• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[News]: Catch of the day: Rare tentacle - KSBY

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Way cool

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
That's always encouraging. Awesome. I love the Central Coast. Squid country.

CapnNemo

Vampyroteuthis
Supporter
"The tentacle, reaching about 13 feet, was about the diameter of a broomstick "

If a London routemaster bus is the standard unit of measurement for length then surely the 'broomstick' must now be the standard unit for diameter? What say you?

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
I agree! Although what I'm hoping for is "Fire Hose".

OB

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Coastal redwood

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Tintenfisch;77546 said:
Oooh, that's Moroteuthis robusta territory... but I suppose it would have mentioned hooks if it had 'em. Dang. :hmm:
There was a lot of footage of the club being inspected by Dr. Hochberg on KCAL9, and it looked pretty "classic architeuthis" to my untrained eye. I didn't record it, though, I'm afraid.

http://cbs2.com/video/?id=23588@kcbs.dayport.com
http://cbs2.com/video/?id=23615@kcbs.dayport.com

are the clips. The first one has Dr. Hochberg say "architeuthis" specifically, so I'm afraid you're out of luck in that regard, Kat...

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Looks like a archi to me.

[Although I do hope it's something much more sensational..like..Moro-Archi!]

Steve O'Shea

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Tiz GS. Interesting reference to orca having (possibly) eaten the beast; this is not something we would expect, at least in these (southern) parts (where they eat mainly coastal/shallow water species of fish and ray).

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
Steve O'Shea;77690 said:
Tiz GS. Interesting reference to orca having (possibly) eaten the beast; this is not something we would expect, at least in these (southern) parts (where they eat mainly coastal/shallow water species of fish and ray).
Is it generally easy to tell from a severed squid-part when it was chomped by a toothed whale vs removed by some other cause? Of course, I can't think of many things that would remove parts of a giant squid that aren't toothed whales, except perhaps it trying to attack the tail end of a submarine...

I didn't think Orcas (or Sperm Whales) were common off central California anyway; there are dolphins, and baleen whales like humpbacks and grays, but those are the only cetaceans I've heard of around California...

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
There's an active pod in Monterey Bay and along the Big Sur coast that hangs out there to attack migrating baleen whales and take their young.

chrono_war01

Colossal Squid
Supporter
If memory serves right, there was a NG program on how they found that one sort of orcas would eat fish and the seals and whales don't mind their presence. And then another group arrived which had a variation during the clicks and squeels during communitcating. It was found that the new group did not eat fish but mostly hunted marine mammals....

Members online