[News]: Biggest ever fine for illegal squid offence - New Zealand Herald

tonmo;115027 said:
Do squid used for research have to be processed according to some specification, like ones for eating do?

Only the ones I gave them! Which was just to freeze randomly selected (& sized squid, min 1x 10 Kg pan) from each jigging location and record lat, long, date and water depth. I wanted to be sure all other measurements etc fitted my protocols. It all came back in Japanese anyway :roll: So there may have been a translation problem too.

I note the fines were all about human health issues, and not anything to do with the health of the squid population!

J

It didn't say but the main fisheries here are for Southern Arrow Squid, Nototodarus sloanii and Goulds Arrow squid, Nototodarus gouldii. N. sloanii is found mainly in the South Island of NZ (some in the south of the North Island too) and the subantarctic islands, while N. gouldi is found in the North Island and Southern Australia. So it could have been either or both species.

I worked with N. sloanii.

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back