• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Hello everyone!

Finally registered for tonmo after browsing the site for months.

Right now I have a 55gal reef tank and it's pretty awesome.

I'm gonna set up another 55gal for a cuttlefish soon and I was just wondering if I'm going in the right direction.

I've got a fluval canister filter for a 70gal (not sure which one it is, my friend picked it out :biggrin2:) and a Prizm, hang-on skimmer. I haven't dived into the sand or rock yet because I still have to fix up the stand a bit. I'm probably gonna get 40-50lbs of Live sand and a few pounds of LR and fill in the rest with base rock and let it seed over time (good idea?). And I'll just use a regular florescent bulb.

Is this a good setup and am I missing anything? Any tips are appreciated!

:mrgreen:

:welcome: It sounds like you're on the right track, but I assume the experts will chime in with more details.

earlthebeaver;142765 said:
I've got a fluval canister filter for a 70gal (not sure which one it is, my friend picked it out :biggrin2:)
You have a Fluval 305 or 304. They're great canisters, especially in fresh water, but in salt water any canister has the tendency to become a nitrate factory when people don't maintenance them often enough. What that means is that gunk and detritous will build up in the filter and as it rots it produces lots and lots of nitrates. If it was mine, I wouldn't run any bio-media in there, since the liverock will do a much better job at that, and just use the canister for coarse foam, carbon, and maybe a phosphate media (granular ferric oxide) to help with algae. Rinse the foam periodically to prevent build-up from funk and you'll be golden.

earlthebeaver;142765 said:
I'm probably gonna get 40-50lbs of Live sand and a few pounds of LR and fill in the rest with base rock and let it seed over time (good idea?).
Seeding the base rock is a great idea. You're less likely to get undesirable hithchikers and it's much, much cheaper.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back