• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Newbie wanting to get into octopi

ok thanks i ordered a critter pack of ebay from an invert only fish store with the the octipus and i have a thirty gal tank.

krazekajin;63767 said:
When I get a tank. How long do I need to let it cycle. Do I just do it until it cycles, or does it have to be up and running for six months etc.

The average minimum time is about 3 months, but the only way to be really sure is to buy test kits and test your water parameters (Nitrate/Nitrite, Ammonia, pH etc). This is something that really should not be rushed, an octopus tank needs to be chemically very stable BEFORE the octopus is added. Octopus produce much larger quantities of waste than a similar sized fish. The minimum tank size for a Bimac is about 50G and you will need to make provision for food. While some bimacs can be trained to eat frozen food (I believe....our NZ species can't!) it's best to provide some live MARINE crustaceans and snails etc for the octopus health and sanity (they seem to do better when they can hunt from time to time). Don't be tempted to buy large quantities of freshwater crustacean as they're not nutritious enough.....ok for a treat.....much like us and candy :biggrin2: Check out the care articles on this site, they're very good and based on real experience!

Cheers

J

Octopus are surprisingly resilient to being out of water but ideally they should never be out. To prevent escapes the tank must be sealed! A good strong lid secured to the tank is a must......duct tape is your friend!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back