• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

newbie questions

dwollsch

Hatchling
Registered
Wow, this is a fantastic place with lots of information. I have a 10 gal nano now I've had this tank for 5 years and broke all the rules. I've kept an anenome and several things I was told I couldn't.

A year or so ago I saw the cutest little octopus at the LFS. I didn't get him because I couldn't find any information on care and figured he would get WAY too big for my little tank anyway. About 8 weeks ago I decided to take my 55 gal freshwater tank and convert it to a saltwater. I've already added my live sand and rock and started cycling.

By accident I found Octopets.com and became intrigued. lol Well somehow I found this site and have spent the ENTIRE day reading. I'm seriously thinking that a bimac would be so nice to have in this tank. I do have a few questions that I haven't found the answers to yet. WHAT should I plan on feeding him? Does it HAVE to be live or just fresh? I live in Louisiana but not real close to the coast getting fresh crabs and things isn't a problem but it may not always be live. Also when I DO go to the coast could I collect LOTS of crabs and things and just put them in the tank and let him eat/hunt as he likes? I know the average live span of an octo is 6-24 months depending on the type but what is the span of a Bimac? If its not a good idea to have more than one because they will kill each other then how are they bred? (not interested in breeding just curious).

I hope my newbies questions don't offend the veterans. I want to make SURE that before I decide to give a home to one of these guys that I have it RIGHT.

Thanks
Diana

:welcome: Diana
Glad you found the site. The folks on here are great and will be a big help. You seem to be off to a great start with the 55 gallon. Yes, a bimac would be the best octopus to start off with for several reasons. They're hardy, diurnal, not likely to escape, full of character, and a lot of other pluses. Make sure you check out the equiptment list on this site, powerful flitration is the number one key to keeping a healthy octopus. Bimacs are usually pretty quick to accept fresh pieces of shrimp or other seafood once they are accustomed to their owner. They'll readily accept offerings right out of your hand. When you first get it, it will be shy and better off to hunt live food left in the tank. Octopets.com sells baby clams that you can throw in your tank and they'll help filter the tank until your bimac eats them. It would be better to keep crabs in a seperate tank and only offer a few at a time instead of pouring a ton of them in the tank. Only one bimac per tank unless you have an enormous tank (several hundred gallons). They usually live about 1-1.5 years if well cared for. My last one lived to the age of about 15-16 months. Please don't be afraid to ask tons of questions, we love to help, we want to see people like you become successful with these cephs. They're one of the coolest pets you'll ever own. Goodluck and keep em coming. John

:welcome: I keep a smal 15 gal tank in my kitchen for food. It is run by an undergravel and a bubble filter, no heater, but crabs, snails and shrimp do fine in it! Very simple! And my daughtor loves looking at what we've caught! Can hardly wait for the warm weather to come back to start collecting again!!!

Carol

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back