Newbie here!!

Pegasus8

Hatchling
Registered
Hello All! Looking for breeders/equipment to start an Octopus Aquafarm. Anyone out there who can help??
Please post, PM or skype me at pegasus8629

:wink:

:welcome: to tonmo.:smile: .Sorry, I am no octopus expert, but I can tell you that will be very expensive. One bimac needs about 55 gallons MINIMUM. You will need a good filtration system and an escape-proof setup. You will also need to let the tank(s) cycle for a long time. If it is bimac, then I would be a potential first costumer, I will have a tank done cycling in a few months that I was going to keep Sepia Bandensis, the dwarf cuttlefish in, becuase I tought nobody was doing what you might do. VERY COOL.

Thanks for your responses! I would like to start off where Octopets left off. I wanted to visit the Aquafarm for breeders for research and commercial trade- but couldnt find out what happened or if they have relocated elsewhere. Just heard they are not around anymore. So, here I am looking for answers. I understand there's expenses and special filtration systems and rearing equipment. Im willing to undergo it all.

The two main ones one were Octopets and NRCC, both went out of business. From what I understand raising them is too expensive to be profitable because they eat so much, and no one had come up with a cheap but effective food. There was also a supply and demand problem. I hope you can figure out how to make it a success, and I know plenty of people here on TONMO would love to this come to fruition as well. Good Luck!

I guess the first question to ask is, "how much do you already know about octopuses?" The second, what animals have you already raised?

Wow...not much hope out there! hmmm...Well, to start off with there's a couple of us in this venture..from catching them off the coastline of an island, raising them and just being amazed by them we all have our reasons for wanting to breed different species either for research, Aquarium pets or .... food! Of course, anything with three hearts has my vote!

Just a note on Octopets and the NRCC. Octopets went out of business really because it wasn't well run. The NRCC, which had grants to breed or raise cephs for education and research, was doing well but losts its funding. I visited them several times, and they had hundreds of octopuses, cuttles, and squids in their large tanks.

You might be able to see cephs as pets, for public aquariums, for research, and finally as food.

I think the vote would be for O. bimaculoides as pets. O. vulgaris grows too large for most individual's aquariums.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back