Newbi

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
B
image.jpg

Haha I figured it out d on iPad you click upload file by post reply on forum and choose existing , camera roll and then image. Then you can choose thumbnail or full image

Now to explain photos I have been talking with @QueenB and decided that buying red acrylic was a little to pricy so I bought a timer some cords and some energy efficient 60watt replacement bulbs and switched night to day and day to night hoping to see twitch in the daytime instead of 2am lol I think I could have went with some 40 watt bulbs instead but twitch still come out to watch me I'll let everyone know how it works in future. Other pics are just of my setup. Plus I was overexcited about figuring out how to upload pics I'm gunna try to get some better pics of twitch for u guys Incase we were wrong on the species I'd lol

It will be interesting to see if you can reorient Twitch's time. I don't know why it wouldn't work since we ship them across country or out of country and they adapt. What actual times are you using for your "day" and "night"?

I have my regular tank light on from midnight to noon and the red light on from noon to midnight with no laps in light so she thinks the red is night it has worked so far I'm going with she for now but I'm not sure yet she just today ventured from her den enough to see her whole body I guess that's a good thing shows comfort in tank and surroundings I would assume now just to get some pics of her worth showing lol

Anyone know a reputable place to buy a vulgaris or another day active octopus. Not that twitch is doing bad but when she goes I'd like to be able to know wat I want and where to get it I'm in Pennsylvania by the way and Don't really want to ship one from Cali. Again didn't turn out well for me

Your best bet for a day octopus will be O. hummelincki (also known as O. filosus and the Caribbean two-spot). It can be kept in a 50-65 gallon tank (with sump). This species is often imported from Haiti but is also found in south FL. Unfortunately, we have not seen many of these since the earthquake (2010) but they have always been somewhat hard to find. I know Haiti has been actively exporting fish again but so far few, if any O. hummelincki have shown up on TONMO.

An alternate that is mostly nocturnal while young but more crepuscular (early evening/early morning hunter) as it ages is O. briareus. It also needs a 60ish gallon tank, is arguably one of the prettiest octopuses and some will learn to interact. I have kept several and prefer to have at least when I keep multiples. Once they are 5 or 6 months old they will come out for supper if fed at a regular time but still remain more active after dark. Currently, this is the easiest species to find from Florida. Like all well known octopuses, they will spawn year round but have a primary spawning period in the early spring, so this is the time of the year smaller animals tend to be available. They are also very fond of crab and are often unwelcome finds in crab traps. Occasionally, crabbers will offer crab trap animals to live fish suppliers for the pet trade. You will typically see them on eBay or in local fish stores at this time of the year.

Vulgaris are very hard to come by in the US but I don't know why. They are supposed to be very common but the thought is more hearsay than documented observations. Sometimes you will see someone offering them but it almost always turns out to be a Caribbean Common (O. briareus) and not a Common (O. vulgaris). In prior years, Tampa Bay Saltwater has on a rare occasion had them for sale as hitch hikers from their live rock. I wrote and asked about the possibility a couple of weeks ago. Sadly their reply was that they had not seen a single one since the oil spill (also 2010).

I have not observed O. cyanea in person but viewing wild clips and reading suggests it would need a large tank (larger than 120) because it is a wandering animal. @shipposhack is keeping one that he collected at school (Ocho Meurto) and will hopefully continue to journal its progress and needs as it grows.

Caribbean O. vulgaris should be OK (there are debates on this and some recommend 175 or larger but there is some confusion over the size of the Caribbean and Mediterranean variety, the Mediterranean being considerably larger) in a 120. O. hummelincki or O. briareus would not get "lost" in a 120 and would enjoy the extra room. Dwarfs are probably the only commonly kept octopuses that would be too small. Even a group of O. mercatoris, however, would likely not be seen.

Do you know a reputable place to buy a vulgaris or an cyanea I'm planning on building a 300 gal reef with a min 120 sump for a large octopus but if that's to small for a larger octo. I'm gunna make it a reef and stick with the 120 for octo. But I definatly want a larger day active specimen. My wife don't like that idea lol considering it over 3G for empty plumed tanks lol I told her it's my birthday on the 19th so it's a 40,000 dollar chopper or tank we will see witch haha probably a bullet and a shallow grave

So far the lights have worked great twink is out all day roaming even attacking all the little hermits in the tank I caught her all the way off the den rock and up at the top of tank right under my red lights so I guess there not to bright as I thought before I'm still trying to get one yellow tail damsel out but it's proven faster and smarter than me lol

Videos need to be posted on an outside streaming platform (YouTube, Vimeo, PhotoBucket, etc). Once they are available from a video hosting site, you can paste the link into a TONMO post and it will stream directly in the post.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back