Newb

MTadd

Hatchling
Registered
Hi everyone, new to the forum. I've been lurking for quite some time now. Most of what I've learned over that last couple years has been from here. I've been wanting to get an octo for years, I've been reading about owning one for at least that long. I'm finally getting close to doing it. I recently got a hand me down 125 gallon tank from my brother (should be plenty of room for most octos) now I'm just slowly scraping together the funds for filtration. I want to do it right the first time, it's been tough to not go cheap and cut corners. I'm in Albuquerque NM. Thanks for having me. I look forward to learning more.

thanks!!

:welcome: to TONMO

Cool. 125 is a great size! I too have a 125 gallon octo tank. What kind of filtration do you think you will get? There are a lot of great DIY filters out there, some even work better than the expensive ones. just an idea.

:welcome: to TONMO, and good luck getting your tank set up.

CaptFish;151749 said:
:welcome: to TONMO

Cool. 125 is a great size! I too have a 125 gallon octo tank. What kind of filtration do you think you will get? There are a lot of great DIY filters out there, some even work better than the expensive ones. just an idea.

Thanks for the welcome! I've been concidering sump or wet/dry for filtration. I have not found any great plans for a DIY filter. Do you have any or know of any? do you recomend sump over a wet/dry? Thanks again

Is the tank predrilled? or are you going to use an overflowbox?

i use an overflow that goes to a sump, the route to the sump takes my water across a foam filter pad then, then waterfalls across some bioball then down into the sump. in the sump I have two bags of activated carbon and a Proclear Aquatics protein skimmer. Then it all goes back up to the tank through a 1200 gph pump that splits into two returns one at each end of the tank.

in from the tank and across my filter pad which is in that black tray
IMG_0066.jpg

then is flows across the bioball into the sump
IMG_0067.jpg

Then in the sump I have the bags of carbon, the protien skimmer, and the pump back up to the tank
IMG_0069.jpg

A great drawing of a good sump.
basicsump.jpg

bucket filter - these work great and I know afew people that use them very successfully in there reef tanks.
http://www.sydneycichlid.com/bucket-trickle-filter.htm

LG trickle filter-
http://www.sydneycichlid.com/trickle-filter.htm

awesome diagrams and pictures!! Thanks so much for the feedback. The tank is not pre drilled, so I will definately need an over flow box. I'm getting conflicting advise on wether to do a wet/dry set up or a refugium set up. Is one more common than the other for octos?

Yeah, its like asking which is better Coke or Pepsi, it all comes down to personal preference. I think wet/dry maybe slightly more common. The ref. is nice for keeping live food. I keep mine in a separate tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back