• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

New

Teen Aquarist

Larval Mass
Registered
Hi! I have a 24 gal reef for about 3 years now and I want something really cool. My friend is giving me his 55 gal tank with stand for free and I plan on setting up an octo tank! I really have no idea what to do and woyuld love your guys experties also what would be a good octo for that size of tank. Thank you very much!

daddysquoc

Wonderpus
Registered
:welcome: to the site.

First off is to read everything (and i mean everything) you can about keeping cephalopods. TONMO is a great place to start. You should also check out some of the great books on the topic (Nancy and Colin can help there) as well as researching as much as you can on whatever species you're interseted in.

Animal Mother

Architeuthis
Supporter
Welcome to the right place. Daddysquoc pretty much summed it up. If you read through the threads and articles on this website there won't be too many unanswered questions.

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
:welcome: make sure you're friends tank has never had copper in it (meds etc) even the tiniest trace (ie too small for copper test kits to pick up) is fatal for octopus. Once it's in the tank it's in there for good.

J

daddysquoc

Wonderpus
Registered
good point jean. :smile:

and also, you should realize there are very few suitable tankmates for an octopus. its pretty much limited to a few of the smaller echinoderms

Members online