DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
via FB and @baldtankman
Marine Biology Technician - NIWA
Marine Biology Technician - NIWA
blob

NIWA is New Zealand's leading environmental science research institute and the key provider of atmospheric, freshwater and marine research and consultancy services.

We are seeking an enthusiastic and proficient marine biology technician to support varied work in NIWA's marine biodiversity and biosecurity programmes, specifically supporting the management and development of the Marine Invasives Taxonomic Service (MITS) and the NIWA Invertebrate Collection (NIC). The position also includes still-image and video analysis and participating in research cruises and fieldwork involving biological samples.

Working flexibly with the MITS Manager, NIC Collection Manager and relevant marine-ecology project managers, this position will ensure provision of collection-management components of NIWA's marine biodiversity and biosecurity research and other contracts. Routine duties will include specimen data entry, accessions and registration, processing of specimen loans and organisation of the NIC and MITS collections; reporting and regular contact with clients; assisting with seafloor image interpretation and associated data archiving. Seagoing work will include processing of benthic invertebrate samples.

Candidates should have a tertiary qualification with a strong background in marine biology. Familiarity with marine invertebrates and databases would be an advantage, along with proficiency in computer skills (word processing, data entry, spreadsheets). The position requires ability to work in a team environment while also being able to work with minimal supervision.

NIWA offers competitive remuneration and benefits and an attractive waterfront location with free parking.

Job Details
Crown research instituteNIWA
Reference #6387
Posted onApr 11, 2014
Closes onApr 30, 2014
Location(s)Central Wellington
ExpertiseMarine & Freshwater Science, Biosecurity
Job level(s)Technician
Work type(s)Permanent
More details (document)Marine Biology Technician PD_April 14.pdf

Darn it! I missed my chance to apply :-/
BTW I'm still looking for potential employment. Ideal would be a research assistant in some Cephalopod related project. Maybe any of you Cephalopod lovers are in possession of some info concerning this matter? I am aware that it's pretty naive of me, but I believe it's always worth asking :smile: Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back