New whale strandings in NZ (Part II)

I thought of you whale-gut-spelunkers when I heard about a sperm whale stranding in Santa Barbara on the radio yesterday:

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_5641752

but I didn't have time to go get the experience, and perhaps that's just as well. Apparently they had problems with people using hacksaws and hammers to try to steal the teeth, some of whom may be in deep trouble, as trade in cetacean parts is apparently some sort of major crime, and people took photos of the vandals.

Have I mentioned that I'm glad that TONMO doesn't have scratch-and-sniff threads?

monty;92401 said:
but I didn't have time to go get the experience, and perhaps that's just as well. Apparently they had problems with people using hacksaws and hammers to try to steal the teeth, some of whom may be in deep trouble, as trade in cetacean parts is apparently some sort of major crime, and people took photos of the vandals.

It's a violation of Section 102 of the marine mammal protection act... http://www.mmc.gov/legislation/mmpa.html

It is unlawful - Sec. 102 (2) (A) for any person or vessel or other conveyance to take any marine mammal in waters or on lands under the jurisdiction of the United States; or
(3) for any person, with respect to any marine mammal taken in violation of this title, to posses that mammal or any product from that mammal;

The penalties range from $10,000-$20,000 per violation...

Steve O'Shea;83882 said:
It was a wet, cold and miserable day .....

I thought that would make my stomach(and my breakfast) churn :yuck: but surprisingly I'm alright!:tongue:
If I had to be in place of Steve, I would probably go for a dip in a pool of my fav perfume first and then carry on with examination of gut contents..
(.......................Now that I think of it, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be much of a help either:indiffer:)

My word; forgot about this thread.

We're coming into that time of the year when these animals strand most frequently. I wouldn't be surprised if we were called out in the next week or so to attend to a mass stranding somewhere; I sincerely hope that I am wrong!

wish i could do that... And decaying whales and seals and indeed a horrible smell.. when i was staying on the water there was a dead seal somewhere and it reaked for weeks

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back