New to octopus

labne

Hatchling
Registered
Hello there,

I know nothing about any of this ceph business, but it all sounds very fascinating, and you all seem very knowledgeable so I am hoping you can help...

I remember watching a documentary (aired Down Under) a few years ago - all about octopus (octopi? sorry, I don't even know which is correct!!) and their night-time activities. It was set entirely in a lab. The intention had been to see what they got up to at night in their tanks, so they had the cameras on non-stop. And I seem to recall the scientisty-type people were shocked to find out the next day that the octopus/octopi had climbed out of their tanks and across the room, into the other tanks. It seemed as though scientists had not known of this ability before.

Now, as I said, I know nothing about these clever animals and so on reflection, this may have been April Fools' Day - in which case please feel free to laugh at me:smile: but if by any chance this was a real documentary and anyone knows how I can get hold of a copy, I would be extremely happy as I enjoyed it very much,

Thanks, nice octopus people!

Labne

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Supporter
:welcome: to TONMO. I'm not familiar with a particular documentary, but it's a very common story that octopuses love to escape their tanks and go eat fish out of the adjacent ones... I believe I first heard about that in the 70s, or maybe early 80s, but I think it's been observed a lot earlier than that... unfortunately, occasionally the octo will not be able to get back to its tank, and ends up dead on the floor :sad: but otherwise, it's pretty cute. DHyslop used to "walk" his octopus occasionally: http://www.tonmo.com/community/index.php?threads/7938/

dreadhead

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Olorin grabbed me like that last night,but he was holding on to a large piece of liverock.When he tried to pull my hand in he would pick the live rock up about 2 or 3 inches.It was pretty impressive.

labne

Hatchling
Registered
Wow, awesome pics! For years I have been wondering if this was all true, or if I had imagined the doco.

Thanks for the info... if I ever find the doco I will let you guys know :smile:

Thanks!
Claire

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
Someone had described this documentary to me as well, but I don't think I've seen it (I would think I would remember the images... I think it was only described to me). Or was it just a story that someone told during a documentary, without the images? I'm wondering if it was mentioned during the Incredible Suckers documentary.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnyegaard

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak