• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

new to octopus and have new tank setup

hey guys i'm new to this so i would like to take some time out and say hi to everybody, i have a 150 gallon tank with a iwaki water pump, a 36 watt uv sterilizer and a dual chamber bio wet/dry filter, i dont know what els i need nor where can i buy a octopus, or a cover for my tank to keep the octopus from escaping,i live in new york long island any ideas to get this 1st timer started? thanks in advance

:welcome:

UV sterilizer isn't really necessary and can in some cases be detrimental

Check out the ceph care articles on this forum, they have lots of info on gear you need.........remember Duct tape is your friend!!!!!!!:biggrin2: Lids need to be pretty secure and duct tape (although ugly) will seal up lots of gaps!

J

Jean;127466 said:
:welcome:

UV sterilizer isn't really necessary and can in some cases be detrimental

Check out the ceph care articles on this forum, they have lots of info on gear you need.........remember Duct tape is your friend!!!!!!!:biggrin2: Lids need to be pretty secure and duct tape (although ugly) will seal up lots of gaps!

J

i was thinkin of buying a reptile screen cover for my 150 gal os that good?

Check the tank forums, I think several people were successful with that kind of screen without rust problems. You will still need the duct tape though. You might try experimenting with duct tape along the back and velcro on the sides and front if you have any kind of edge for attachement. This would create a hinge for feeding. If you have (or can fashion) a center brace then you could have two hinged lids that might make life easier.

If you want to DIY a lid, you can line the top of the tank with a recessed width of acrylic and then use acrylic or other lid that will sit slightly inside the tank rather than just on top of it. If you make a lid, you can hinge it 2/3 1/3 where the 1/3 is fixed and the front third opens. With the rim arrangement, all cracks are gone and it is then easier to secure it with hasps or other inventive slide locks, eliminating the need for tape.

Attachments

• conv_293388.jpg
    conv_293388.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 130
  • conv_293389.jpg
    conv_293389.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 110

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back