new to keeping octopus

giantocto

Hatchling
Registered
Hello,
I have always wanted to keep an octopus. Previously I had read that they were super hard to keep. After running across this website it seems that it is possible to keep one successfully. About a week ago I was in an aquarium in Myrtle beech where they had a giant octopus. Totally awesome!
I have currently have a few freshwater tanks set up. I would like to have an octopus tank by next Christmas. Tank about 150 gallons that I would purchase new. Im planning on reading as many articles here on keeping octopus's as I can but any advice on starting out is welcome.

Bob

:welcome: to TONMO, Bob! The articles are a great place to start, and I recommend getting a copy of Nancy and Colin's book as well to get a lot of info collected in one place.

im going to be the cheap person and say, check out ebay for filters and pumps and what not for your 150g. you can find nice ones in box for much cheaper than websites/stores sell them. I set up a 110g in November and bought everything either at a lfs or online..then realized some of the things i bought were halfprice on ebay from good sellers and brand new =\

Thanks for the replies. I will have to get a copy of that book and check out ebay.
I was lucky enough to find 155 gallon bow front tank on craigslist that I keep my freshwater fish in at the moment. Im hesitant to buy a used tank for the octopus though as I read here that if copper was used in treating fish sickness it might be still hanging around and could kill the octopus.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back