New to forum Need ID help please

debbie

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi i was told this octopus was from indonesia. Beautiful colors, Mantle about 1 1/2 to 2 inches, tentacles about 7 to 8 inches. Thanks Debbie

Attachments

• 069.JPG
    069.JPG
    976.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 072.JPG
    072.JPG
    900.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 073.JPG
    073.JPG
    838.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 075.JPG
    075.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 139
The Philippines fits well with my Abdopus suggestion and is the primary export country for this species. Abdopus is common to the whole area of islands in the Indo-Pacific.

Upvote 0
Octopus age is very hard to determine in live animals and takes special equipment for post mortem determination. There is no reliable average size even among siblings. Sexual maturity can be determined in males by the way they carry their third right arm (clockwise as you orient your eyes with the animal). In O. briareus, that would be at about 5 months (probably about the same for O. mercatoris from memory but mercs may mature a bit earlier). Abdopus live (in general) a bit shorter lifespans so I would guess 4 months to be close. Animals in senescence often lose the ability to color strongly but without prior comparisons it is not easy to detect.

That being said, most of the animals coming from the Philippines have been sexually mature, many have been full adults but we have seen a few juveniles.

An arm length of 7-8 inches is quite short for an adult aculeatus. There are others within the complex that this arm to mantle ratio that are more likely. Take a look at @davelin315 's new animal and my notes in that thread to see if your little guy looks similar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back