New to everything.

PostLife

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Meagan a 21 year old college student in Houston Texas. I have always been interested in marine life, particularly in octopi. I'm possibly getting one next year, after i finish up college. After a few days of lurking here I've decided to join. Ive never kept a salt water anything, (rarely do i even keep fish) and want to be fully prepared before even considering bringing an Octopus into my home. Seeing how informative this site and users are I figured ya'll could help me with the many questions I'll have in the future.

neurobadger

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to TONMO!

Have you read the octopus care articles and sifted through the Octopus Care forum?

PostLife

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!
I have read through some of the care articles, though the major questions I have will be more related to tank size, set up, etc. That and if any reputable dealers are located here in Texas, I don't want to have mine shipped if at all possible to avoid. I'd assume someone locally deals in them considering I live in a coastal area.

neurobadger

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
There's a tank forum in Octopus Care.

Houston is sufficiently close to the shore that if you can find a local dealer you'll probably be okay. The species you'll probably want to look for is briareus; if you have a sufficiently large tank, you can have a vulgaris, but that's a bad idea.

CaptFish

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
:welcome: to TONMO

The best place to start is with a saltwater reef or fish tank. This way you can get a hang of the care and maintenance.

Make sure to check out the Journals section to see what other people are keeping and what kind of care they give their multi-armed friends.

you can have a vulgaris, but that's a bad idea
Why do say that? They are fantastic octopuses I loved mine and can't wait for the opportunity to keep another.

neurobadger

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Reaction score
CaptFish;179933 said:
Why do say that? They are fantastic octopuses I loved mine and can't wait for the opportunity to keep another.
Well, if she can afford a sufficiently big tank. But odds are a 21-year-old college student can't afford one.

PostLife

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like such a noob asking this, but how large do briareus and vulgaris grow?
I'd probably want to start out with something smaller, I have a friend who's getting rid of a large tank, though I'm not sure how big it is yet. What size tank do you guys recommend?

CaptFish,
I'll look into starting one, it seems like a good way to get used to things.
I've been reading some of the journals, they are pretty interesting. There's a lot more care involved than I originally anticipated, but that's not a discouragement.

Joe-Ceph

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Reaction score
A while back someone living near Corpus asked about how to catch local octopus. Here's the thread, in case you want to try to learn how to catch your own.

PostLife

Hatchling
Registered
Reaction score
Joe-Ceph, thanks for the info, though it would be very fun to try...
I don't think I'm quite the person to be catching my own. I'd be too afraid I'd injure it and/or myself, lol.

Joe-Ceph

Haliphron Atlanticus
Supporter
Reaction score
okay, but it might be really tough to get a local octopus caught by anybody else that is in good shape (wasn't caught with hooks). Maybe they are caught as by-catch by shrimp or crab fishermen, and you can convince ($) one of them to hold one for you. I suspect your best bet would be to just buy one from the usual sources recommended on Tonmo, and deal with the risks/costs of shipping.