New to Cuttles

Discussion in 'Cuttlefish Care' started by spinycheek, Mar 20, 2009.

1. spinycheek

spinycheek GPO Registered

Hey everyone, I have a 29 gallon tank I'm starting up to house bubble shell sea slugs (Micromelo undata and Hydatina amplustre). It has a 6 inch sand bed with some turtle grass and a piece of live rock. I plan on getting a couple more pieces of live rock and some sps frags and zoanthid polyps as well as the bubble shells as soon as my cirratulid worm population is ready to be grazed on (cirratulids are the exclusive food for these bubble shells). Basically, there are no fish or crustaceans in this tank (except amphipods) and it has a huge HOB Reef Octopus skimmer. I'm just curious if this is an acceptable enclosure for 1-2 Sepia bandensis cuttles.

Also, would the cuttles bother Tridacnid clams?

2. Scrounger

Scrounger Cuttlefish Supporter

I have one bandensis in a 29 gallon Biocube, with about 25 lbs. of rock, and he seems pretty happy.

The clam should be fine with a cuttle, as long as you have enough lighting. I wanted to put a clam in my cuttle tank, but my lighting isn't up to par.

3. spinycheek

OK, I've got halides over the tank for the turtle grass and coral. Is it true that S. bandensis should be housed at least with a second cuttle or they will be inactive and just sit on the bottom?

4. Scrounger

Scrounger Cuttlefish Supporter

That's a good question. I have never owned multiples, so I'll leave that to others to comment upon.

5. spinycheek

Does yours actively swim around?