• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New to Cephs

kennel

Hatchling
Registered
hi im new to the whole subject of cephalopods and are interested in owning one as a pet
i have looked all through tonmo's forums for information and have found it very usefull but at the moment im looking for some really straight forward answers and any help would be appreciated

basicly what i want to know is

is caring for cuttlefish and octopus very different?

what species of octopus makes a good pet? (and has a reasonable lifespan i dont want to buy an octopus that will only live for a few months)

i live in a realtively inland area in australia so what are my options octopus and food wise ?( i know this question isnt very straight forward)

what is a good setup for a tank? ( if possible provide a photo )

kennel;122975 said:
hi im new to the whole subject of cephalopods and are interested in owning one as a pet
i have looked all through tonmo's forums for information and have found it very usefull but at the moment im looking for some really straight forward answers and any help would be appreciated

basicly what i want to know is

is caring for cuttlefish and octopus very different?

what species of octopus makes a good pet? (and has a reasonable lifespan i dont want to buy an octopus that will only live for a few months)

i live in a realtively inland area in australia so what are my options octopus and food wise ?( i know this question isnt very straight forward)

what is a good setup for a tank? ( if possible provide a photo )

:welcome: to TONMO!

Most of the questions are answered in our ceph care articles, which you can find by scrolling down on the home page. Cuttle and Octo care are relatively similar, the primary difference being that octos will try to escape, so they will need an escape-proof tank. Most of the articles were written when the two bimac species were commonly kept (partially because there were sources of tank-bred animals), but lately briareus, hummelincki, and aculeatus have been easier to get. Australia has some interesting species, too, but I can't list them off the top of my head. We don't recommend the toxic blue-ringed species from your area, since their bites are lethal to humans.

In North America, a lot of inland folks use mail-order suppliers for their octo food, but I don't know if any such businesses exist in Australia.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back