• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

new to cephs

jamest0o0

O. vulgaris
Registered
Hi I'm new to cephs and just have a few questions to get me started off(I won't plan on getting anything for awhile yet just thought I'd get started on my research now)...

anyway my first question is, what is more expensive/complicated to care for cuttlefish or octos?

:welcome: to TONMO.

The costs are pretty similar... as a rule, the food cost for ceph-keeping outweighs all other costs involved. You can find some good overview information to get started under the ARTICLES tab at the top of the page, if you haven't already.

alright, I know everyone will have different opinions, but what do people usually find more interesting octos or cuttles?
and what do you feed them and how often because I know they are big eaters... thanks!

Food depends on size/age of specimen. Babies will start with live mysis and pods and work their way up to small shrimp and hermits and eventually take larger crabs.

We like to suggest www.aquaculturestore.com as a place to order live food.

I think they are both equally interesting. Main difference to me is octos down swim as much as cuttles, and cuttles don't walk and climb as much as octos. And octos don't have those nifty tentacles to strike their food with.

ahhh thanks so much, I've been reading all of these articles and I notice in all the pictures the octos and cuttles are different colors, now I know cuttles are great at doing this, but do octos do this and do they do this as often in the home aquarium?

alright so I'm very interested in cephs, but my biggest concern is feeding, I go on a vacation once a year for about a week and during the summer I will go away a few times anywhere from 1-3 days....

If you absolutely have to leave your tank alone it is best to have someone come check on it daily. You'll need to train someone you trust to take care of it while you are away.

Agreed. I do some tank set up and animal traspo for people. Always be VERY specific when leaving a ceph with someone. And also do try and find someone you know you can trust to do things the right way, otherwise its heartbreak hotel for you.:wink:

Also, try and schedule a water change before an extended (i.e., a week) absence. Has worked for me in the past, but it is really up to you. Some discourage it, but I find it especially effective in keeping the ceph safe, happy, and healthy.

Light timers are also a must here.:smile:

alright thanks, I use light timers atm with my reef anyway so it would not be a problem with a ceph.... okay so I plan to have a 30-40g tank, can someone suggest some interesting species to research?

jamest0o0;114189 said:
alright thanks, I use light timers atm with my reef anyway so it would not be a problem with a ceph.... okay so I plan to have a 30-40g tank, can someone suggest some interesting species to research?

Unless you're locked into 30-40gal for some reason, you'd have a lot more flexibility in species if you step up to the 55-75gal range.

I might be able to get a 55-75 in I'll have to measure some, I was told any shape aquarium will be fine? I plan to either have a square shaped tank or wide one...

Any shape should be fine. Just be careful to make sure the live rock and whatever other decorations you prefer are stable. Sometimes octopi like to decorate...in a suicidal fashion. Just be mindful of that. But monty is right, 55-75 is a better home than a 30-40. i only use 30-40 as temporary quarters. Also, in reference to your species query, I prefer bimac octopi over almost all else. My favorite octopus that I had was O. bimaculoides, and he was great. But I'm biased, so hearing other suggestions is a wise course.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back