New Thread ;-) - Cephalopod Fact Check

Indeed, that is unfair Jean since so many of the publications are not available for free reading (your direct reference is AU $25 just to read, the excerpt displayed in my Google scan did not even include the information of interest in the Abstract). Much of the content on Wikipedia does give references for content like this and they work hard at marking information that is not officially referenced (especially for the sciences). If students are not allowed to actually site Wikipedia, at least mention that it provides a place to find actual material sources for a topic. For everyday, quick reference use (often leading to rabbit trailing), I find it indispensable and use it for definitions almost daily.

Ah yes but our Uni pays for access to many of those journals etc! We are aiming for RIGOUROUS research and sorry, much on wikipedia is just not, yes it can lead to peer reviewed work and that's Ok wikipedia as a primary source is not. BTW not my rules although I tend to agree with them PLUS our students can actually VISIT the library who will either have hard copies or have them available on a computer kiosk! I was trying to be tongue in cheek......guess it didn't come off! :biggrin2:

I guess I think it is unfair to Wikipedia to NOT site it as a place to find deeper material. I am not suggesting that it is a scientific reference source but it is far easier to use than a card catalog for locating information on parts of topics (ie if you are looking for something about squid suckers or what they eat or what eats them) and it stays fairly current. Some papers do a good job at placing topic points in the abstract but many do not.

However, THIS is ridiculous:
Octopoda in Books & Magazines for sale | eBay

Almost all the "books" are articles from Wikipedia

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back