New sub-forum

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
Welcome to the new sub-forum for this summer's convention. Lots of questions, discussions and info should be forthcoming, so I created some room for us to breathe...

Ok don't know if this is the right spot for this but I wanted to bring up something that Monterey is famous for as a suggestion for a side activity- whale watching.
I've been several times out of Monterey and every time it has been a unique and amazing experience. Because of the deep sea trench, the amount of life seen on any given trip is nothing short of jaw-dropping. On previous trips I've seen Humpback whales, Blues, Minkes, White sided dolphins (including an albino), Rissos dolphins, Harbor & Dalls porpoise, common dolphin (a school of several thousand), jellies, turtles, sunfish, sharks, and of course tons of sea birds,otters, seals, sea lions, and elephant seals.
On one trip a humpback whale circled within a few feet of the boat for nearly an hour, rolling and sky hopping almost within arm's reach.
Not to mention that often orcas, basking sharks, right whale dolphins, fin whales and sperm whales show up depending on the season.
You can view the species list of what is seen on the website under sightings:
(Monterey Bay Whale Watch - Whale Watching Trips)
Just a suggestion for a fun side trip.
-Chris

Hi Chris

Whale watching sounds great! We won't plan any excursions as part of TONMOcon - it's just too short for that. The people who stay on for a few days will really enjoy Monterey, and may want to start a thread about who'll stay on to plan things like this.

Melissa

Don't worry. According to a high ranking TONMO official hinted that TONMOcon would be the also a online event like Squidcam and digital photos will be posted during and after the event for public viewing.
This is Chrono at TONMOcon planning HQ, back to you BBC HQ.

:lol:

chrono_war01 said:
Don't worry. According to a high ranking TONMO official hinted that TONMOcon would be the also a online event like Squidcam
Cool! I wonder who is gonna pull that off!! What's the URL?

:wink:

Gee Tony, we all thought that YOU were going to be doing that !!!! ????
LOL...yep, I am one of the flies in that ointment...said I will be posting pics during the conference on Tonmo...figure between Erich, myself, and a few others, we will have more laptops there than you can shake a squid at !

don't think that I am the ranking tonmo member referred to though...did someone else pipe up too?

Is there a chance that tonmo chat might be online then? it would be fun to have a "realtime" session with everyone...I know...logistics, logistics....
greg

Hi Squidman

Do you mean what time will things end in the evenings? Or what time will we wrap up on Sunday? I'll try to answer both. Sunday, we'll go to the aquarium as a group - the reservation is for 9:30 am, when they open. People can leave at any time. This was set up so that people leaving Sunday afternoon would not miss any of the big speakers like Steve. The aquarium closes around 6 pm. I don't know if we'll have a tour. Friday, we may go a little later than Saturday. I think people will want to eat so we'll try to end around 6 on Saturday and retreat to dinner. I'm sure there will be some lingering after to chat. We may have a group reservation for dinner Friday or Saturday night. It's up to you whether you want to go to dinner.

Erich is hoping that there will be live music to hear in Monterey. I don't know if you would be allowed into a club to hear music. This would be separate from TONMOcon but something else to enjoy. Pipsquek told me that restaurants generally close by midnight and a few bars stay open until two.

I hope this helps.

Melissa

Since the plane tickets to Montery is SO SO SO EXPENSIVE, I will stay there for at least 10 days. Anyone with me?

I'm wondering how poeple set up Squidcam, maybe we can have a TONMOcam at TONMOcon mounted on one of our member's shoulders? :lol:

I paid to go to the convention (just to show support!) but of course, I won't actually be there! All my funds got eaten by a new hotwater service, heating system and gas cooktop. Can I have a T-shirt instead???
KRin

Krin -- got your payment, thanks for the support!!! I actually thought you might be coming! Yes, I'll arrange to get you a t-shirt; will keep you posted.

I would have loved to come but...

tonmo said:
Krin -- got your payment, thanks for the support!!! I actually thought you might be coming! Yes, I'll arrange to get you a t-shirt; will keep you posted.

My heating system had to be replaced and my hot water service had to be replaced....and that was my holiday money gone in one week. I will try and work up something on squids and octopusses in TV and animation just to show I am a show off. :squidwar:

KRin

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back