• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

New Staff Member - Crissy Huffard (mucktopus)

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
I am very happy to report that Dr. Crissy Huffard (mucktopus) has accepted our invitation to join TONMO.com Staff. Crissy has long provided invaluable contributions to our community and we're thrilled she's joining the TONMO.com team.

From her bio (added to our Meet the Staff page):

Crissy Huffard (mucktopus) got hooked on cephalopods as an intern in 1996. She completed her Ph.D. with Roy Caldwell (Neogonodactylus) studying the behavioral ecology of Abdopus aculeatus in the wild, followed by a post-doc at the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute. In her research Crissy tries to understand relationships between evolutionary history, ecological communities, behavioral environments, and reproductive biology of cephalopods- in the field when possible. She currently works for Conservation International Indonesia, advising the monitoring program for a large network of marine protected areas in Papua. In this job she loves supporting conservation action by making science accessible to community members and resource managers.
Welcome Crissy / mucktopus!

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
Supporter
Congratulations! I wish when I was younger I knew I would want to be you when I grow up!

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
Congratulations Chrissy. BTW I was watching a series of DVD's (the shape of life) that we use in teaching and in the mollusc section I came across a familiar name, well done!!!

mucktopus

Haliphron Atlanticus
Staff member
Wow- "the shape of life" was filmed a long long time ago- only a month into my first trip ever to Indonesia. Interesting background for that show- when we backroll off the boat for a night dive, the topside shot is on the island of Bunaken, while the UW footage is in Lembeh, 2 hr away. Filming almost got cut short when thieves boarded our support dinghy in the middle of the night and silently stole all dive gear and UW lighting equipment. Luckily the boat owner is well connected and we got out stuff back the next day (and the thieves went to jail).

Jean

Colossal Squid
Supporter
still a good series, we use it in our undergrad marine invert paper! Love how you can bamboozle the audience on location in these things, "Octopus Garden" is filmed in some VERY different locations round NZ, but is theoretically following one octopus through it's life!

Members online

No members online now.