New Octy

I love it. It's very rare that I see a medium-sized...if he is, dark colored octopus or an octopus that keeps itself black or close to it. It's very Japanese and reminds me of live octopus in Japan. I'd definately name it something related to dark coloration, lol. How big is it and what species? Looks like a Vulgaris.

Thanks!! I havent had him too long yet. I went through my first 4 days of "oh man i hope hes not going to be one of those shy octos", but hes starting to trust me more. Hell come out and dance around the glass. He will still stop and pretend hes a rock for a couple minutes when he first sees me watching him. Im expecting him to warm up and be very playful though. Hes pretty big!! Hes in a smaller tank now, but once hes more used to me, Ill put him into a 50..

I just got one of those vending machine toy plastic holders and closed it gently with a crab inside.. Lets see if the crab will be there in the morning.

The song is from a band called Die Form. They are experimental, electro and ethereal. I thought the song made it feel like he was a little space monster coming out of the rocks.. =)

Armstrong said:
I love it. It's very rare that I see a medium-sized...if he is, dark colored octopus or an octopus that keeps itself black or close to it. It's very Japanese and reminds me of live octopus in Japan. I'd definately name it something related to dark coloration, lol. How big is it and what species? Looks like a Vulgaris.

Ill be in Japan in 3 days! So maybe something will inspire me with a name while im there!!

No sushi name suggestions..Cephs are Friends not Food :mad:

Paradox said:
Ill be in Japan in 3 days! So maybe something will inspire me with a name while im there!!

No sushi name suggestions..Cephs are Friends not Food :mad:

Oh, trust me im with you on that...lol. Thats if you've seen my long ass post about live octopuses now being more popularized in america and spreading throughout asia from korea. Please do us all a favor and rescue all those live octopus you see in Japan cuz im telling you, their so easy to find. Dump them back in the pacific if you see any close to shore. Im sure your going to have a lot of stories when you get back.

Video of my octo opening a container to get a crab!!

The first time I put a crab in a vending machine toy container, it took the octopus a day to get it. I wasnt there to see it happen and wondered if it may have just accidentally opened.

Today, for the 2nd time, I put a crab in the container and dropped it in the tank, hoping that he really did open it the first time and has 'memory' of his first encounter.

He opened it about a minute!! And heres the video :lol:

http://thetentacleparadox.com/AculeatusOpeningContainerVideo.htm

THAT WAS AWESOME! I'd love to see that on a regular size screen.

Just curious, are you using a filter on your camera? You seem to be avoiding the glare for the most part.

LOL! what a cute lil octo! i would liek to know - how did you get the container to sink? was it filled with water? can you try dropping the container in again to see if he does it even faster?

chris

No filter on this camera. Hes in a glass sectioned part of the tank and where theres no ambient light causeing any reflections. I have a larger version of the video. Maybe Ill submit it to tonmo when i get a chance.. (I should be packing for japan!!)

The container has small holes on the top side and the bottom. But even with that, I needed to add an empy atrea snail shell into it for it to sink.

That was his 2nd experience with opening the container, so i expect him to be faster next time!

(Leaving for Japan tommorow for a week, so I wont be able to videotape him again until then)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back