034.jpg
035.jpg
035.jpg
029.jpg

Attachments

• 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 177
Unfortunately, the pictures don't give a lot to go by other than the arm to mantle ratio appears to be about 5:1. Since you are located in NY, it is not a local animal so answering a few questions might help.

Do you know the ocean of origination (your supplier MIGHT know - often they do not)?
What are the most common colors it displays
Do you see extreme or only very small raised bumps on the skin when it displays them
Do you see "horns" above the eyes at times
Looking at the sucker tips, when they are not white, what color do you see? (Blue/purple or orange).
Roughly how long is the mantle (from the back of the eyes to the tip)
How thick is the mantle (describe as a fruit).

Note anything else you observe. Some species have eye spots but I don't know of one with the arm:mantle ratio this is displaying.

More pictures might also be helpful but I know the pain of not being able to eliminate the reflections :wink:.

I would encourage you to add a lot of dark hiding places. They are easily stressed animals and do not survive well without places to den and hide.

Looking back at the first picture and the reflection, my low % guess would be an Octopus briareus adult. To look at examples search the journals forum for briareus or review the List of our Octopuses stickies at the top of this forum and click on the names of the animals listed (the oldest don't have links so scroll to the more current years. The posts with tables can be sorted by species).

Last edited:
Hi, I posted more pics but I don't know what happened to them? Anyway he turns from light tan to dark brown. LFS said carribean reef octopus?. No horns. Mantle is about 2 inches long, 1 inch wide. Had over a month, eats well but is very shy??. He has a cave, should I add more? Was hesitant about adding more décor before he is used to the way it is now. Thanks Tom

A Caribbean Reef Octopus (also called Common Caribbean Reef Octopus) is the familiar name for Octopus briareus. Other than the image suggestions above (don't use Google as you will get "octopus" images, not specifically Octopus briareus, regardless of how you try to filter) here is a link to my image gallery where I try to remember to post one image of each of my wards. The species name (where known) is included in the image information. There are many others though and using the Lists of Our Octopuses thread at the top of this forum will give you a range their colors and postures.

Yes, do give it more den and hiding area. As frustrating as it is, IME, forcing an octopus to be visible (or easily located) is negative to its acclimation to tank living. All octopuses are shy but some will learn to interact, most will learn to come out at supper time if you feed at a regular time each day. One, often difficult to schedule, seemingly helpful hint is to be in front of the tank for 30-60 minutes each day. Our octopus tanks are in the eating area and I think this helps a bit since we are sitting and moving without threatening. DO be sure the top is always secure, this is a strong species and can easily lift a lid and escape.

@Tomh, The max image size for the forum is 20Mb (2000 kb). Assuming no reduction in sizing at upload, your other images were between 2 and 3 Mb - well within the limits. Usually the software will tell you if your image is oversized but check to see if this may be the reason your images did not appear. My only other thought would be a slow internet connection that dropped during the upload.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back