New octopus

I got a new octopus about a little over a week ago at a LFS. I waited to tell you guys becuase he wasn't eating until yesterday and I didn't know if he would make it. I guess he was holding out for live food. It surprised me alittle because I'm pretty sure the LFS feeds frozen shrimp and the other one I got from them ate frozen right away. Unfortunately I ordered the crabs on a friday night, so they didn't ship until monday and got here yesterday.

Anyway he is doing great now and I've named him Jet. I just fed him and when he saw the crab he did the most amazing color flashes I've seen in an octopus. Exactly half his body was pulsing through different colors while the other half stayed one color.

Unfortunatly I don't know what species. They said he wouldn't get much bigger so I may not have much time with him. But they don't seem to know much about octopus so I can't be sure. I try to get pictures soon.

Ben

Congratulations! What is your new little octopus' name? And when will we be treated to some photos?

So I guess he was holding out for live food - now he's happy.

As for the species, we're seeing a lot of aculeatus and also briareus, so I'd look at pics of those two species for comparison. Refer to the List of Our Octopuses to see who has recently acquired these species, then look at the pics they've posted - you'll see they're quite different and one might look like yours.

Nancy

When are we going to make owning a digital camera a pre-requisite for owning a ceph? :wink:

I'm so jealous. I have nothing, and all I do is read about these wonderful animals. It's killing me!

Congrats Ben! All hail Jet, the Technicolor octopus!

Welcome to Jet! Hope you get some photos of his impressive colors (but that's hard to do!).

I've added him to the List of Our Octopuses.

Nancy

A couple things I forgot to mention. Jet actually only has 7 arms. A couple of identifing things he is an atlantic species, tropical and has eye spots.

Ben

:welcome: Jet.

Now I've got that Paul McCartney song in my head...

I have some pictures but I can't get them to upload. They might be too big or something. But it says it can't be uploaded. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks,
Ben

bmatson said:
I have some pictures but I can't get them to upload. They might be too big or something. But it says it can't be uploaded. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks,
Ben

There's been something weird going on with people getting "permission denied" errors that Tony's been working on... is that in the error message? Usually if they're too big it's pretty explicit about saying the image is too big...

Yeah I think it's something like that the error message says

"There seems to have been a problem with the TONMO.com Forums database.
Please try again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, whom you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience."

so maybe I'll try again someother time.

Thanks
Ben

Update

Just an update on my octopus:

He is doing really well, he is eating well and his missing arm is growing back. He does however like to cause problems by moving the spray bar around. I like to have it just alittle above the water line, to move the water around. Jet however doesn't. Everytime I put it above the water he moves it back down. Today he not only moved it down, but he took the suction cup that holds it on and hid it :lol:. So he is doing well and ate frozen shrimp today which is nice, becuase I ran out of crabs yesterday and theey won't be here till next week. I have pictures but I can't post them so I'm going to try something different so you can see him.

Ben

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back