new octopus tank

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by jblystone, Jan 17, 2010.

1. jblystone

jblystone O. bimaculoides Registered

need some advise. would like to get a octopus have been cheacking out this site for info dont trust local fish store i have a 55 gal but not set up for saltwater have found many salt water tanks allready set up for sale with wet dry ,skimmer lights and so on would it be safe to use a used tank with some mods for octo and how long after i would move this tank to my home before i woukld put an octo in it

2. CaptFish

CaptFish Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

First :welcome: to TONMO

It is usually advised that you have some saltwater tank keeping experience before you jump into octopus keeping. The main problem with a buying a used aquarium is knowing if copper medication was used. If the person you are buying it from knows for sure that they have never used it, then it's probably good. As for cycling time of the new aquarium usually a min. of 2 months is advised. Octos are such a bio load that it is important to have a stable and established system to maintain them. Proper levels of pH, Ammonia, Nitrates,and Nitrites must be maintained.

3. jblystone

i have a 75 gal reef tank for about 2 years and am ready to try an octo but no i dont want to take it lightly just thought it might b less money to get a tank that is allready a salt water tank

4. CaptFish

The used setups are fine you just have to make sure that no copper was ever used or it will kill the octopus. I bought my 125 on Craigslist. some good deals can surly be found out there.

5. jblystone

thank you for your help it is criagslist that i was on

6. Joe-Ceph

Joe-Ceph Haliphron Atlanticus Supporter

If you are planning to keep a cold water species, like a bimac, then cycle time will be much longer. I have a bimac tank that I kept at 65 degrees during the cycle. It took three months before the tank could keep amonia down, and six months before nitrate was under control.

Whatever the water temp, it is important to simulate the amount of waste that an octopus will produce. A "cycled" tank has proved that it can handle "some" load, but utill it has cycled at the intended load, it isn't really ready. I recommend dosing a barren tank with ammonia, daily, to simulate the presence of an octopus. How much ammonia? I'm not sure, but I've read it somewhere in TONMO, or some other forum. Maybe someone can chime in with the answer.

7. jblystone

thanks 4 the info yes i would like a bimac but dont have a chiller so will most likely try a caribbean species first any recommended

8. Joe-Ceph

I live in Southern California, and I wanted to collect my own octopus, so I got a chiller and a bimac, but if I were going to buy an octopus, I'd get a hummelicki (carribbean two-spot). They are reportedly very much like a bimac, only a tiny bit smaller, and no chiller required.

9. jblystone

ok thanks again i will look into that it is going to be awhile yet i just got my tank started i went with a 55gal should be a good size ?

10. Joe-Ceph

55 gallons should be fine for a hummelicki, especially if you have a sump to increase the water volume a bit.

11. jblystone

no sump just canister and a skimmer lots of lr hopfuly this will work any input will help

12. CaptFish

That is a very common setup and should work great. which canister and skimmer do you have?

13. jblystone

i just bought a fluval 404 and a corailife super skimmer used hopfuly they will do the job

14. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

I have had several models of low and medium priced skimmers (no high end models) and the Coralife are my favorite. They are easy to set up (in our outside the tank),require little headroom, easy to clean, collect lots of gunk and require little tuning.

15. jblystone

weel thats good news got a good deal what about the filter i no that octo make a mess

16. DWhatley

I can't help on the canister. I hate their maintenance and only have one (non-octo tank that can't take a sump). I know that Corw314 and Sedna both use them successfully so hopefully one or the other will know about brand and sizing.

17. Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith Wonderpus Registered

Can anyone tell me what size filter/ skimmer (how many gallons its rated for)i need for a 40 gal? And any reccomendations to someone on a tight budget. As for a heater all I need is any heater rated for a 40 gal tank right? Im looking at a aculeatus.

18. Omega

Omega GPO Registered

I'm personally fond of fluval canister filters. I'm not sure exactly is you need a larger one than recommended. but here is a fluval 205-rated for 40 gallons
    http://cgi.ebay.com/FLUVAL-205-AQUA...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a77b2640

keep in mind if you do use a canister filter your protein skimmer will have to hang from the tank.

19. DWhatley

Heaters can be problematic and I generally recommend you not use one unless it is really needed if you don't have a sump (what is the temperature of your house in the winter and summer at the coldest point?) If you do opt to use one, I highly recommend getting something with a remote (wired) control, does not have a remote probe, is marked as for saltwater and is metal (vs glass).

I think we pretty much exhausted the protein skimmer thoughts in the prior Octopus Care discussion.

Because you are not planning a sump, some kind of cascading filter would be preferable to a canister for aiding O2 exchange (as well as ease of cleaning but they are harder to octo proof). If you opt for a canister, then the returned water should be above the water line to improve (but it won't provide as much) the release of CO2.

20. Ryan Smith

Ryan Smith Wonderpus Registered

Thanks again. I remebered skimmer = 2x tank size. But I didnt remeber what brands are good. I wasnt sure whether I needed a 40 gal filter or a larger one. My room temp in the summer might be 78 or so. In the winter (now) its 70. Hopefuly I wont need a chiller.