New Octopus! Octavian

O. hummelincki is considered diurnal (day active) but in the home aquarium we see diurnal and crepuscular (early morning, early evening active) animals be anything from what you would expect to anytime of the day or night (nocturnals remain nocturnal and I suspect it has to do with eye sensitivity). My hunch is that human activity and feeding time may alter their natural activity OR we really don't have a good idea of their in situ activity times.

:oops: Thanks for the encouragement and I hope my hobbyist views are informational and helpful. I've kept a lot of octopuses (is it really possible that the count is over 20 now?), had minor success in raising a couple from eggs and decent longevity but I don't exceed basic success (but keep trying). I very much want to encourage differing/alternate opinions with legitimate observations so I hope I don't scare people away with my prolific :biggrin2: responses. For every time I am please with an ID I can make, I stumble with at least 2 others but that is a long way from where I started and I hope other TONMO keepers feel the same thrill as they learn about their cephs!

Sorry I havent posted. Ive been crazy busy with work. Lately Allot had been changing with him like you said D. During the day he just hangs out in his den. But the second the lights go out in the tank he comes out an plays. He is all over the tank crawling on the glass swimming around. Completely different. D as for the watching tv I swear he is doing it as we speak. He sits right in the corner closest to the tv. I will get some more pics and video tomorrow I hope. Going to try to feed him some different stuff and see what he likes the most.

How much lighting do you have on the tank? This is "typically" more of a daytime animal. If you use 2 bulbs to light the tank and can reduce it to one when you come home, you might try reducing the light. We have seen some of the hummelincki appear to be more crepuscular (early morning, early evening hunters) than diurnal but none of them like overly bright lighting.

He's Changed allot over the last few days. I going to try to take a few new pictures of him tonight! He seems to come out pretty much whenever he wants now. If I come home he comes out checks around goes back in his den. Comes out watches tv runs around the tank. I really cant get over how amazing they are. I'm already thinking about another tank. I will think Ill own an octo for life now lol

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back