• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New octopus guy

Unfortunately, low end skimmers are notorious for being useless (we have gone through a number of them as well as one not so inexpensive Red Sea Berlin unit). The Coralife is the first one we found that not only skims but is easy to clean and can sit inside or outside the tank. Unless you can find someone to recommend the one you are looking at, I would avoid it.

YES! Im 1/6 or 7th of the way to an octo. Im getting my tank today weeeeeee. Thanks for standing by me through this difficult time. But now I have the ball rolling. And I still have a guitar, drum, an ipod to sell. On top of that the snow is melting and ill be mowing yards soon. Which means 150-200$ per day. YAY OCTOPUS! Im going to name my octo Ackbar. ITSA TRAP!

I agree take the cycle really slow. i just finished cycling a tank for fo my Mercatoris. I stated it in October, let it cycle with just live rock for two months then I added some cheap fish (various damsels) then in January I added a cleaning crew (snails and crabs). Then I waited some more and only now at the 4 month i finally put the octopus in there. So from me from the start of the cycle it was 4 months before i felt 100% about putting an Octopus in there. Octopuses are a slow hobby that require patience and diligence. Good Luck!

Yeah... Actually im kinda dissapointed. I just figured out that my biggest expense is the live rock. (I think) How many lbs of live rock do I need for a 40 gal tank?

when live aquaria does put their LR on sale, it comes out much cheaper than any place I've found. if your on a tight budget just keep watching their website for sales..or if you haven't bought the tank and all yet see if a LFS will cut you a deal if you get everything from them or something.

Watching Craigslist for someone locally that is breaking down a tank is often a good source for LR. Local aquarium clubs often have swap meets or will assist members looking for or trying to sell LR.

It usually comes wrapped in wet newspaper. You'll have some die off but will be plenty of life left inside the rock. You will need to give it a good scrub to remove the dead sponges etc. rinse them aquascape. I usually get it from a local guy in my reef club. My brother has bought it from Premium Aquatics and was very happy. Maybe others can chime in with more suggestions and you can shop for the best price.
I don't understand what you're asking?? How, use a credit card, if you don't have one ask your parents :smile:

That is the miniumum to get biologic filtration, some people do 1.5 and even 2 pounds per gallon. Shipping is expensive and will easily double the on-line price (which will be less than an LSF), some will do 2 day but overnight is best. It will come wrapped in wet newspaper in most cases (and usually a soggy box).

www.sealifeinc.net has aquacultured rock that is very well received. If you find a supplier you like, look on the reef forums to see what others are saying.

Actually, the expenses you are seeing are the costs of a marine setup, it is not just cephs. The secure top and heavily recommended protein skimmer are the only extras (and the protein skimmer is not only for cephs).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back