• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New octopus guy

Ryan Smith;151003 said:
ARF! SO MANY MONEYS! Why do octopode have to be so cool and expensive?

That was my big trouble was convincing my parents. Once i got the ok from them and got my first one and they saw how cool they are its hard to stop my parents from getting more and more(i dont mind though). D there should be a mots(multiple octopus tanks syndrome). There might be a few people on tonmo who have that:wink:.

If I wasnt so dedicated to octopode I would just give up now. I figured 300-400$ at first. Now my costs are so high... 700-800$. I just cant get over it. Luckily I found 40lbs of caribean live rock for 150$ + 40$ shipping. One more question how much sand do I need? And is argonite reef sand what I want? (40 gal tank) I did finally get to see the octo at my lfs. It had a 1 inch mantle and 3-4 inch tentacles. It was all tan. Im still thinkin it might be hummelcki.

@BSO
A more encompassing acronym might be MCS (Multiple Ceph Syndrome) but surely no one on this forum would catch it.
:gigas:

@Ryan
Sand is one of the not so well defined materials. Some people even go with a bare bottom tank (spouse won't have it our I would). I use argonite but as little as I can get away with. Just enough to cover the bottom in front and to the sides of the LR between 1" - 2" deep. My octos that sleep on the bottom will clear it out of their dens so I just don't put it in the back to begin with and that helps some with minimizing nitrates. You will want to disrupt it as much as possible when you siphon off your water to get the waste up into the water column and into your siphon and/or your filter. You can probably get away with the smaller bag if you are looking at the one I use (two bag sizes, the larger runs - or did - around $37).

You will read about deep sand beds (6" miniumum) but that is NOT something you want in an octo tank. IMO they are not desirable in a display tank but can be helpful in a deep sump or better in a separate fuge.

Thanks D. Theres a 20lb bag at my lfs for $25 or so. Iv heard you need a protein skimmer rated twice as much as your tank. What about filter? Im excited, Im actualy starting to get some octo progress done. And the snow is starting to melt so I can get back to work. Of corse the year I find out you can keep octopode, there is the snowiest year in Maryland history. Old record was 54 inches. We got 80+. But its Ok, one the snow melts, an octo i going to be a tiny expense. When I get $50 or so my dad and I are going to make a tank stand. I saw a live octo for the first time at my lfs. It was awsome. It was trying to hide in a corner, But to no avail. Thinking I cant really tell what kind it is... its mantle was merc sized, but its tenticals were possibley 5 inches. It was all tan, and i couldnt see its eyes looking for the star shapes.

That sounds about right for the smaller bag of argonite sand. I hope you continue to keep the enthusiasm. Keep checking at your LSF as you go through the set up process so you can begin to see some of the differences in octopuses. I recommend taking your camera when you go and trying to get good pictures. This will help you learn a little about the problems photographing a tank and give you the opportunity to compare the different ones that come in and out of the pet store. If you think about it, post them here with your brief descriptions. Somehow using an on-line journal has helped me keep track of things far better than the private notes I used to try to keep (and failed miserably to update :oops:).

Thanks. Its just a matter of time until I get an octo. What months are hummelcki normaly in stores? And would anyone reccomend buying an octo online? That just sounds like a bad idea to me...

if you are getting a 40 gallon tank then you can get an Aculeatus. They are a bit smaller then hummelinki but have longer arms and they diurnal. You can buy them at liveaquaria.com for about $59. Once you add up the shipping they are about $90. They are really fun octos who will interact a lot with you.

thank you, Ill look into them. Has anyone bought anything from them before? any feedback? Do Aculeatus need the same conditions as hummelcki? I checked out the site and it said Carribean and Indonesan octo for 59.99 Which is aculeatus?

They are pretty much have all the same needs as a hummelinki except they have small matles and longer arms(not sure what the ratio is). There is one down side to getting an aculeatus. Since they are small you will probably get an adult. But that can happen with any octo you order online.

I have a question that was kindof answered earlier in the thread. I dont think I will get a ro/di filter as even as it will be cheaper in the long run, It will skyrocket water bills, so im not sure if it actually is worth it. I have a grocery store within walking distance so I can get distilled water. What about spring water? they have that too and its a little cheaper. I dont mind spending the extra 20 cents per gallon for distilled, but if they run out of distilled ir something, will spring water work?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back