New Octopus -- Dwarf?

Pennyworth

Wonderpus
Registered
I received my octopus from Live Aquaria yesterday. Brainiac unfortunately didn't survive my move...after thinking him dead several weeks prior due to an ammonia spike and absolutely no sign of him, I wasn't prepared when I found him alive after moving in one of my rocks.

Brainiac was likely a dwarf, based on the identification @DWhatley made. I am wondering if this species is also a dwarf? I wasn't able to get any good pictures, but videoed it while introducing to the tank.

I opted for the bag acclimation method this time as getting an octopus out of the bucket proved...troublesome, the last time I attempted doing so.

The tentacles seem longer proportionally than those on Brainiac, which makes me think it may be a different species.

Side question: I had a single wavemaker rated at 850gph going while I introduced it into the tank, and it seemed to be far too powerful for it. How much flow should I have in a 55 gallon tank if I want the octopus to be comfortable and swim around, and not be blown against a wall?

From one of @Neogonodactylus more recent gallery images, I suspect Callistoctopus aspilosomatis is the unknown animal we have labeled as in the Macropus complex over the years. It is very nocturnal but a delightful animal if you can be awake when it is out and about. We have not had one arrive this small though. If the animal is the same species (see Beldar and Puddles there is a link back to Roy's photo in the first post) they do well in the aquarium and grow to about the size of aculeatus.

Upvote 0
Thanks Roy and Denise,

I'm looking forward to nurturing this guy. Sounds like I got a good catch if it is young and does well in an aquarium.

I've been trying to read about the species and reading through some of the other threads on the site, specifically the one on ziggy.

My water quality is great at the moment, and salinity is at 1.025, which I'm going to get up to 1.26.

I'm looking forward at observing it tonight.

My main concern at the moment is about my powerhead. In the video while it was on, it looks like the flow is too strong and it is getting blown to the other side of the tank. The powerhead is a single 850gph. Is this too much for a 56 gallon tank, for an octopus of that size?

My other concern is of course escape. The octopus at the size it is now doesn't seem strong enough to lift up the glass lid on the tank, and I have taped the back down so it should be safe. I have enkamat in my overflow box which will hopefully discourage it from going in there, although I assume it is still a possibility that it could, and then go through the u-tube and into the sump..., I'm just hoping it won't as I don't believe I can completely prevent that if it gets past the enkamat.

Upvote 0
I think I would turn the powerhead off at night (or during its active time if I am wrong about its choice of activity) but leave it on (a timer would be a good idea) when it is "sleeping" so that you get circulation in some of the dead zones (you also have a sump and recirculating water so you will not have a stagnant tank. I think I mentioned before but in case I didn't, you can try to position the powerhead to blow behind the LR where it will minimize turbulence but still move water.

Upvote 0
I do have the powerhead on a timer, but just unplugged it completely out of concern that the flow was too high. Since this animal is nocturnal, I'll leave it on during the day.

It was out this morning before my light came on, which was exciting to see. It already seems a lot less shy than the dwarf.

Upvote 0
My two were very human interactive and would come to my hand for attention. Here is one of the few videos (because of the nocturnal encounters) that I was able to take of Puddles. If you can accomplish a mutual meeting time, I think you will really enjoy this species.

Upvote 0
I'm amazed at how much more active it has been than the dwarf. It's been out in the mornings so far, which h as been cool. Hasn't really interacted yet with me, although I think it is still maybe shy.

About to start my journal and upload a ton of photos :smile:

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back