New octopus :D

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by drakanorn, Sep 5, 2007.

1. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

in about 10 min my octopus briareus (after being drip acclimated for two hours) will get to see his new home :D

I got him via ebay shipped up from florada over night. his arms are in tact and he seems stressed but healthy. His mantle is a little under two inches long.

so excited! (and a bit worried...okay really worried)

all of the parameters tested at zero (nitrate 0-5)

sorry not pics for you because i'm keeping the room as dim as passable in an attempt to make the octopus more comfortable.

2. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Architeuthis Supporter

That's a good idea. Don't rush it. We can wait.

Best of luck with it!

3. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

thanks :) hes in the tank now but so is the bag. ill let him come out in his own time. i left the room for about half an hour hoping he would feel more confident to leave the bag but no such luck. he has however repositioned him self so that hes facing towards me & the computer(the most prevalent source of light in the room)

4. Animal Mother

Sounds like you've got the right idea. I like letting them climb out into the tank on their own so they don't have "ESCAPE" on their mind when they enter it.

How quick was the shipment?

5. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

wile my back was turned the octo disappeared into the aquarium. i did manage to catch a glimpse of a tentacle though :)
    live arrival. check
    successful acclamation. check
    tomorrow ill see what i can do about feeding him.

[EDIT] overnight shipping

6. Animal Mother

Cool, well please keep us updated with the details!

7. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

by the light of my computer i caught my octo climbing all over the back of the tank holding onto my hydrometer. this is the first time iv gotten a good look at his arms. as it turns out he only has 5 and 1/2 of them.

8. Animal Mother

Well, just stay positive. Some time and good water quality will do wonders.

9. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

he seems to have stopped associating me with a monster. i just had a 10 minute stare down with him and he seems to want to get a good look at me too :) i didn't expect to see much of him for about a week.

10. Animal Mother

That's probably a good sign! :)

I had really great luck with my two Caribbean 'pusses being active from day one. Seems to be an individual personality thing.

11. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

it turns out the fine netting i put over the overflow was too fine. it clogged and was partially torn off! im very lucky the octo didn't take that opportunity to escape. i cleaned the netting off and re glued part of it. knowing that this will likely break wile i am at school and no one is home is driving be crazy. iv been searching franticly throughout the house searching for alternative netting. no such luck. their no way i can fall back asleep now. id like to stay home from school to make sure this doesn't happen and have my dad bring some netting home after work but i highly doubt my parents will be okay with that plan....im VERY VERY worried..........
    he seems to be healthy active the ideal specimen and thinking that i could loose him to something like this is driving me up the wall.
    i dont know what to do at this point.

12. Animal Mother

The mesh I used was pretty fine, and clogs every few days also. I use a wooden skewer to punch holes through it, and a baster to squirt water through it so it drains.

13. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

the netting did become clogged and did in fact come loose but iv lucked out again and the octo didn't take advantage of this, im getting some better netting today

14. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

i tried cutting a few hole in it and if i agrivated it it will stay unclogged for a wile but not the whole time im at school, thanks for the baster tip

15. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

hes taken up residency in a large cave formed by my live rock that sits up against glass...im suprized that he hasn't added doors(i have plenty of shell in their)

so today i was staring at him resting in his cave, he woke up after a wile, and reached out and touched the glass where my face was, diffidently not a shy one :D (not anymore anyway)

16. Animal Mother

Awesome. Do you have any frozen shrimp you could offer him on a feeding stick? If he'll reach out to try and feel your face, he'd probably be interested in reaching out to inspect something dangling on a stick.

17. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

in trying to find something along the lines of a feeding stick that wont contaminate the water :) as i dont have one already...i wonder what hand do if i hand offered it

hes shedding suction-cups like crazy

18. drakanorn

drakanorn GPO Registered

he ate some shrimp :D...they really are messy eaters -.- lol
    he also but the tip of one of his arms off 0.o could it be because i didn't defrost the shrimp? i thought it'd be floating around a wile before he went after it but he went after it immediately.

also do they normally go into hiding after they eat?

19. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

You need to completely defrost the shrimp and bring it to room temperature before offering it.

If you find plain wooden (bamboo) skewers, like are used in cooking, you can lash two of them end to end with fishing line and make a very good feeding stick.

Nancy

20. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Drakanorn,
    The bamboo sticks Nancy mentioned are great for any number of things. This one is probably a, "Mom, when you go to the grocery store would you mind looking for" kind of item. Mine are called simply, "Bamboo Skewers", are 12" long and I think the lot of 100 at Kroger was about $2.00 (probably a buck at the dollar store if they happen to have them but they should be in most chain groceries. They are often impulse items hanging in the strangest of places so she may need to ask a clerk). If you use it as a feeding stick without the fishing line be sure to break off the pointed tip. It will also work to poke some holes in your netting, clean algae out of crevices, stir substrate (my favorite for this), push stoppers out of suringes, help secure a 4' live rock wall, ...