• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New Octo!!!

Looks different to me to be a bimac! What about the eyespots??? Wonder what it is!! I love the all spikey look!!!

Carol

he does have an eyespot although it does not look quit the same as the pic you posted, the first pic i circled the spot, he has one on each side, its difficult to see, hes always moving around and when he does stay still his spot is usually smooshed so it is still not entirley visible

i dont know much about O. cyanea but i guess anything is possible
as for his pattern hard to tell, kinda looks like a chain but then again sometimes it just looks like a mottled pattern

All the bimacs I've had I don't think any of them has ever done that all over spikey look!! That is so cool!!! I see the eyespot, but still not sure.

Carol

Can you describe the false eyespot? I can see it fairly well in one pic. There is no chain at all, is there? What colors do you see? Is there any black?

Interesting little octo, but I don't think he's a bimac, so we need to try to identify him.

Nancy

the spot looks more like a blue spot than a ring with kinda of a brown ring around it his colors are usually a light tan with a black pattern and his skin has a lot of texture, when he starts moving about his skin turns somewhat smooth and he tends to be a golden color

i will try to get a better pic of his spot, kinda tough though with him being small

Although Ochi has displayed funky body patterns, and he is a bimac, those are much more defined! I would have to say cyanea. \\

The reason I say this is the larger webbing, and shorter arm length shown in the pics.

What size tank is he in?

So...where are they from? Do they grow as big as a bimac? I like the short stubby legs and the spikes. Is their personality like a bimac?

Just curious!

Carol

Well, the Cyanea is given as body to 16 cm (6 in), arms to at least 80 cm (30 in)--
BUT, the article in Cephalopods: a World Guide also says

"This species is recognized by the black false-eye spot (which lacks an iridescent ring) and red-brown arm tips with regular rows of white spots. The dark eye spot is only expressed in some color patterns, however the ring of skin ridge surrounding the spot is still visible in most displays"

This isn't what I'm seeing in the pics posted - or at least, so it seems. I've seen that ring that your octo has somewhere, but I can't find any pic right now.

Nancy

how much bigger (will the octo get)?

are they very aggressive?

i hand fed him a little peice of shrimp today, he grabbed my finger as well, but being that i dont yet have a positive id on the little guy i was kinda weary of letting him climb on me hand and possibly beak me

rc, we posted at the same time - see my post above for the size of Cyanea and some comments.

Another name for cyanea is the day octopus.

Nancy

I think that it could be a cyanea if there are eyespots are black. The bimacs will have the iridescent blue sheen to their spots while cyanea will have it them dark. Not recommended but try giving the octo a small shock to see if the colour of the spots displayed :roll: .

his spot is, well hard to see, and difficult to describe so i made a little drawing, not very scientific but i hope it will provide a general idea,

the spot is definitaly not black its more of a blue, maybe kinda purply

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back