• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New Octo!!!

it does look clearer, but the spot is actually blue/purple in the center and i have not been able to get a good picture that shows this

the only time it is easy to see is when he is not doing the spiney thing, he is a light color and he is streched out
nearly impossible to get this combination while he is still, if i try to get a pic while he is moving all i get is blurr :bugout:

Been working on this one :smile:

How about octopus maya???

try an image search on ceph base for that specie, there is 106 images available and the skin texture and eyes certainly look right.. gets bloody big though!!!!

body to 10" and arms toover 3 feet each!

i cant quit put my finger on why but this just doesnt look like my little guy, his skin is never smotth ,as if his little spiney things never really go away they simply shrivel into what looks like little hairs, all though the pic i attached from the ceph base is a behavior i have seen him do, only once, when i was messing with the rocks

well, since we have had quit a bit od deliberation about his eyespot, i think im going to name him spot, yup Spot it is id like to raise my glass to Spot :cheers:

Though he is on the east coast of Florida and I am on the west coast of Florida, we have an abundance of cephs at our lfs here. They usually only get Caribbean Browns and Vulgaris. This one looks like neither. I wish I had more tanks (5 salt currently), they get 8"-10" octos every other week it seems. They put them in individual tupperware with holes in them an float them in a 220 gal where there are numerous sharks, rays, scorpionfish. I think thats why mine was so anxious to get home and settled in quick, it was better than the alternative at the lfs. They really should give them their own tank, partitioned or something. In Orlando, I went off on a lfs for keeping a baby 10" Banded Bamboo Shark in a 10 gal tall. Some of these places especially down here are fantastic with great selections and at cheap prices due to being so close to the ocean, but some of the Mom & Pop shops need to re-think the storage and display of these aquatic life. Good luck with your new Ceph.

i agree with most of that but i found that its the large chain stores that do a horrible job with their livestock, they hire mostly kids who know nothing about the animals nor care and when you ask something you get pretty stupid answers, they dont treat the livestock well cuz they figure it well either sell soon or die soon. there are 2 fish stores which are my favorite to go to, both for my reef and all other stuff, they are both small mom&pop shops but they treat each animal as a personal pet untill they are sold

Wow, that is a departure from here. Here in Tampa we have 2 absolutely great resources, the biggest fish store in the Southeast (MarineWarehouse) and TampaBay Saltwater (best rock ever). I have 5 dedicated fish-only stores in a five mile radius of my house. Most are good, and can find just about anything. There is even one that one stocks hard to find exotic stuff only. With the exception of 1-2 or two smaller ones, they are great, most very knowledgable, even the college age kids, but these are large stores, but not chains. One Mom & Pop does in fact does something you mentioned as far hoping they sell them before they die. This place (in Orlando) has probably 100 small 10 gal tanks, all with a whisper filter on each. No central filter system. The lights on each, including light dependant items sush as soft/hard corals and anemones are only 15W flourecents. Its shameful to see a 16" diameter blue electric carpet starving for light, stuffed in a 10 gal with poor filtration, and several other things like fish and inverts. I think because the stock is so readily available down here, proper care is sometimes an afterthought as a replacement can be had quickly. For the most part though, I see more respect for these animals than disrespect.

I am not sure exactly. I know mine was gathered in the Florida Keys. They typically get the same ones as mine, with an occasional different species showing up. I know mine was pegged by the group here as a Vulgaris or Caribbean Brown (common). Mine octo is pictured as my icon. When I inquired this last week about a species they had similar to mine they said it was a Caribbean Brown. On a side note, there is a beautiful Hawaiian Dragon Eel there for $648 that I have my eye on. They have the most incredible selection of eels I have seen anywhere. The Mexican Dragons are pretty cool too. I currently have a Zebra Moray and a Goldentail Moray from them. One of the few palces around here that always have great eels, octos, rays, sharks and other oddities. They even sell 1 1/2' huge parrotfish. Extremely knowledgable staff as well. Family owned and literally the entire family works there. I got my Octo there for $49.

The website for the place is http://www.coralreefaquariums.com/

They do not list their inventory on there though.

watch out for those dragon eels!!! i had a 180g predator tank and those dragon eels kill everything sometimes even the other eels, i just saw a few in a fish store, the guy was having the same prob. those things were killing everything in the tank

on another note, can that fantastic store you were talking about acquire cuttls? :heee:

I have a mex dragon and have for almost 2 years without any probles. He is kept with a niger, undulated, snapper, and lion. The only time he is ever aggressive is at feeding time. I have learned how to control that though but putting a small amount of ffod in a net, and letting him swim into ther net and eat his heart out. That way he does not compete with the others.

the dragon eel at the store ate 3 sharks, id be very upset :x

the only eel ive ever had that was worse was a black edge viper, it also has another name that i cant seem to remember or find anywhere, this thing would latch onto anything that moved, it ate a $180 lionfish
the only thing left was the head and the spines!!

well, back to the subject, has anybody had any luck in identifying what species of octo Spot is?

Looks like those are some mean eels, they'd probably shred an octo real quick. $180 for a lionfish?! Anyidea what species. Also what sharks did the eel eat?

im not sure what the species would be for that lion but its the one they normally sell as black volitan, it was over a foot long with bright vibrant colors, i was upset not only at the cost of that meal but more about the fact that it is not common to see a lionfish that big in captivity with bright colors like that, most that big are faded and look bleached

the eels were in a tank with leapard sharks

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back