• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New Octo!!!

Where do you live, rc? That might be a help, too.

It would be unusual to have a cyanea for sale, but it could happen.

You have a nice little octo - don't scare him!! We'll figure this out.

Nancy

i cant say until i see a better pic of the eyespot... but i do know that if there is blue then it wont be cyanea..

does the octo have regular rows of white dots or red brown tips to the arms???

the lfs knows nothing about the octo (they actually dont seem to know much about marine life in general)

the arms tend to follow the same color and texture pattern as the body
the arms actually have a translucent purple edge most of the time

im very pleased with the fact that he seems to enjoy being out in the open, i have lots of opportunity to observe him 8)

i just got done doing a little aquascaping and he was a little agitated so took the opportunity to take some pics i got one where you can see his spot a little better but still not a great shot of it (the first pic)

Hi rc,
I took one of your photos into Photoshop and cropped it. I made two changes: reduced the brightness and increased the contrast. Color was not touched. Maybe we can see it better now.

Nancy

And here's the other one. Still doesn't enable us to see the color well.

RC, you do see blue in this ring, right? but no chain?

Nancy

if there is no chain it could be filosus? It is naturally found around florida and caribbean...

http://www.tonmo.com/images/content/basicocto1.jpg that is a juv i had but online pics are not easy to tell...

But i do remember when i was trying to ID this one that the eyes looked too small for a bimac and that the eyespot was 'wrong' :smile:

The filosus pics are certainly a better match than anything else we've found. The filosus adult size is body around 3 inches, arms around 12 inches - a smaller octopus.

There is a good pic of the ring in the Ceph Base collection, upper left pic in the group of 9.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back