New Octo!!!!

Discussion in 'Cephalopod Journals' started by dbbga, Jan 28, 2004.

1. dbbga

dbbga Vampyroteuthis Registered

Well the new Octo came today... What a beauty :rainbow: I know she is alreay full rgown but its amazing. she is kinda reddish brown most of the time but has a beautiful blue hue to her. Anyway her are some pics of Jetta :D

2. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

:D I am so happy for you and Jetta!! How's she doing so far???

Carol

3. dbbga

she has already eaten three large frozen shrimp that i thawed and is prolly looking for more... Was so cool right off the bat she ate from my hand :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

4. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

:D

Good luck!

Keep us updated!

5. NickA5582

NickA5582 Sepia elegans Registered

Cool, good luck with her!

6. um...

um... Architeuthis Supporter

Yeah. Congratulations!

7. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

Congratulations, Deb. It's nice that you got such a friendly octo. We're looking forward to more pics!

Nancy

8. dbbga

heres another pic of Jetta. I know its kinda blurry but you can really see her blue color :P

9. Burstsovenergy24

Burstsovenergy24 Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

Cool. :D

10. joel_ang

joel_ang Architeuthis Registered

Wow! Good luck with Jetta, What species is she again?

11. dbbga

Paper work says that this is a Briareus, I got up this morning to check on Jetta. I used small flashlight as not to disturb her, and WOW, when the flashlight found her she was glowing a kinda greenishneon blue :mrgreen: Was true beautiful. She has calmed down since yesterday, whata day. I bought Jetta from 5th Day aquatics here in Dallas, which i must say was a very pleasant experience, enormous amounts of contact from them.

When i first opened the bag to see her she shot me with a jet of water right in the face,LOL. Then i tested th water inthe bag, everything was the same as my tank accept fot Ph, the bag Ph was 7.0 and my tank was 8.0, so i took an extra long time to acclim. After i had filled the bag, then emptied, then filled it again, I was in the process of empting the bag for the second time, thats when this huge octo decided she had had enough :shock: out she was coming, I had the bag 2 1/2 feet off the floor trying to get her into the tank, then she had almost all of her tent.s flying out of the water like some kinda of horror film, I freaked, I had kids screeming to shut the lid, they had never seen anything that big before LOL, the dogs were going nuts,,man what a day,,, then i gave her a pc of shrimp and she went quietly down to the bottom of the tank and ate. Then het tent. came back up to the top of the tank so I went over and gave her another shrimp and she ast there and ate. I tried to ofer her another and she refused it, pushing it away until i started to remove it from the tank, then she came up lightning fast and grabbed my hand :shock: I almost pissed my pants, she had my whole hand covered :goofysca: I gave her the shrimp and she retreated :P after eating she went to the back of the tank and set up home i guess in a strawberry pot, which as a background to her blue color is outstanding. so far so good.

12. joel_ang

That was interesting... Suckers do feel weird on the arms don't they.

13. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

LOLOL

yeah, my big briareus climbed straight out the bucket and flopped onto my hands!

14. corw314

corw314 Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Excellent!!!! I can picture eveything!!! Even the panic :mrgreen: !! They sure have a mind of their own don't they??

Good luck with her!!!

Carol

15. joel_ang

Thats one mischevious little bugger, could aliens take over the world this way?

16. dbbga

Well, Jetta slept during the day yest. No sign of her all day. Then when the lights when out and the moonlight was the only thing on she came out. She is so beautiful. Spent most of her time out checking out the tank and looking for food. I placed three large shrimp in the tank which she had no problem finding, she just sits in one place and her tent.'s come out of everywere to get them :) Gonna have to get more food for her, she eats more than all the others did. At least she is eating very well. I hope she makes it for a little while. I fed her a scallop and she really went for it so i will get more today.

17. dbbga

As of this morning Jetta has rearrangened the LR and created a den of some sorts and seems to be hanging upside down. Dont now what she is doing but she seems fine. I bought a small live lobster for her and put it in the tank, she killed it at once and drug it over to her den and went right back inside , leaving the lobster outside. Hmmm wonder if she will eat it later??????

18. dbbga

Around midnight I heard a loud noise coming from Jetta's tank, I got up and got the flashlight. Much to my surprise, Jetta was trying to get the lobster into her den :shock: but it was just to big, so she just ate it right there. This morning all that is left is the shell. Man she must have been really hungry :roll: She is now all cozy and cumfy in her den with a big belly :lol:

19. joel_ang

Great to hear that she's doing so well Deb! Sometimes noises can be heard when they using their beaks to break the prey's shell. It's amazing how strong those little thing are.

20. dbbga

ok I have a question: Jetta is very protective of her den, even when i try to clean the tank or just maint. and water changes. When got Jetta she had one tent that had some damage on the end. I ambasically figuring that she is a female. Do males protect their den as well as females? Could I have a male? Just wondering due to her prosistance of me not being inthe tank close to her den.