New octo!

Hey guys, after a lengthy hiatus, I picked up my new octopus from my lfs. They said their supplier called it a "brown pacific" octopus. I think it must be a dwarf, he is holding his second arm coiled tightly- and is his mantle is about the size of a nickel. Really bad video attached...

Now that I have a slight case of seasickness :roll:, I can't quite tell. Assuming it is actually from the Caribbean, the colors appears right for an O. mercatoris as do the eyes but a photo showing the eyes, mantle and arm length would be helpful. If it is a merc, I am afraid it is fully grown. If it is female, you would have a good shot at raising eggs though.

Upvote 0
Thanks D, I figured it was likely a full grown Merc. Does anyone have any specific tips for this species? I supplied a barnacle cluster, to which he has quickly taken. I also provided hermit crabs in the hopes that he will eat them- at least until we can try some shrimp pieces.

Upvote 0
I've kept a few and up until the last year, usually have one at the house but they have been very slim findings since the last el nino. I am glad to see them start to show up again. The barnacle is always my first suggestion. Placing it somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of the way up off the bottom seems to make them even more appealing. I could only get mine to eat shore shrimp with the exception of the last one. She would take small pieces of table shrimp after she became an adult. Fiddler crabs are always welcomed but mine did not bother with the hermits in shells. You can try offering one deshelled as these were readily accepted. I also fed Cyclop-eeze to the tank an know they would eat that (I have a video of Trapper taking it directly from a pipette post brood).

Make sure there are small shells around the den area so it can close the door when it wants. After awhile the normally leave the door open most of the time.

I also recommend leaving a red light on 24/7. They acclimate to the red easily and don't seem to mind it being on all the time. This gives good viewing (but poor photography). One of my tank raised pairs learned to eat at 11:00 sharp (Sisturas and Medusa). Eventually Sisty would come out even if the room lights were on but we works with them by turning off the room lights at 9:00.

I have a Word document I wrote several years ago. If you will PM me your email address, I will be glad to send it.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back