New Octo tank

Hi all, I've been reading for a while and figured I would introduce myself. I have a 55 gallon setup that I plan to use in housing one octopus. I know that purchasing "brown" octopuses is discouraged, but I'm getting a really good price on one through the LFS. I've tried to determine what species, the supplier (SDC) says bimac, but we shall see. At any rate, if it is a bimac do I need a chiller, or is room temperature in the basement (roughly 65 degrees) adequate? I appreciate any input.

Thanks,

Joe

:welcome: to TONMO!

It would be surprising if it were really a bimac... they're pretty rare these days. I don't think we really discourage "brown" octos; in fact, it's rather more honest of suppliers to say "we don't know what kind this is" than to give a wrong ID.

Like Monty said we don't discourage the 'brown' ones. The only ones we shy away from are the rare and exotic species like mimics, blue ring, wonderpus and....And even still when a person heeds our warnings and concerns and gets one anway we still offer assistance that way we can ensure the Octo leads a happy life. Bluespotocto currently has a bimac, Squirt, but he caught his in the wild.

I understand. Thanks for your posts. When the animal comes in, after I make my best guess at species, would it harm it to go into a heated tank if it were in fact a bimac? I suppose the best method would be to cool the tank slowly over a couple of days, right? I've had the tank up for a while, it is fully cycled, I made a lid from 1/4 plexi, I just hate the idea of not knowing if I should have the tank at 78 degrees or 60.

Where do you live? Where is the fish store located? If it is not in the west then it is highly unlikely a bimac. If i was you i would set the tank you 73 degrees. because a bimac can live in that and so can tropical octos.

bluespotocto;151799 said:
Where do you live? Where is the fish store located? If it is not in the west then it is highly unlikely a bimac. If i was you i would set the tank you 73 degrees. because a bimac can live in that and so can tropical octos.

Thanks, that is what I'll do. I am in Delaware, I'm not sure where the supplier is shipping from.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back