• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New octo tank

tkarp87

Hatchling
Registered
Hi Ill start with alittle background on myself i started keeping saltwater tanks about 3 years ago. The one thing that got me interested in fish tanks was an article in a magazine about octo's. I have wanted one since. I started with a 75g predator tank with hang on filtration and now i have a 180g reef tank with a 75 gall sump. I love reef tanks but do to a heavy work schedule I decided convert the tank to something else. I was considering maybe starting an octo tank. The species i like the most is a western bimac due to their size life span and personality. I know they are hard if not impossible to find online but i live in southern California about 2 miles from the beach and tide pools. The questions i wanted to know is how much work would it be with a tank as big as mine. How easy is it to wean them on to frozen foods? Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Full Tank specs
180g glass display
75g sump est 40 gal cap
msx 300 skimmer
250+ lbs live rock

Well i know that you can catch a bimac in the proper places.(thats what i did) The minimum tank size for a bimac is 50. But i i think you should go all out for an octo because you dont want to cram them, like a 75g(just got one of those for a bimac) I did pretty good in the price range for mine. I stayed under $1000 I havent gotten any live rock though. I was sitting around $800. Your 180 would be excellent you will have to move your coral though and get a chiller if you dont have one and set the temp to 63f. You can have the temp higher but they dont seem to like it that much and will shorten there lifespan.

I ment to name the post questions about a new octo tank but i was half asleep when i posted it. I know there's a good place down near san deigo to catch them. I live in SW Los Angeles in Torrance to be precise. I go diving off of the cliffs in PV but ive never seen any around the tide pools. The room that the tank is in stays pretty cold during most of the year but id definitely have to get a chiller for summer. Ive been planning on selling most of the live stock since i don't have the time right now to keep up on it. I was looking for something easier.

CaptFish;147392 said:
An octo is NOT easier than a a reef tank.
:lol:

I will agree and disagree. Keeping an octopus requires more attention to the animal than a simple reef system but if you use reduced lighting, makes the glass cleaning chore way more palatable. Longer feeding time (albeit one of the most pleasant times you get to spend with them), patient interaction time and consistent, do not put it off, water changes are, on the other hand more time consuming.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back