• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

New octo pics!! Any idea on an I.D.??

jojo

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Hello all this is my first post here. I just picked this guy up on saturday and I have no clue on his I.D. This is the first pic I have been able to get of this guy he is extremely shy so far. I have him in my oceanic 58 with a small damsel and about a 100hermits and 100 astreas and 50 nassarious snails. Also a sally light foot emerald crab and pepermint shrimp. I left all these in there in hopes of getting him to eat with them. Tank specs are oceanic 58gal reef ready with tight fitting lid, grotech hea150 skimmer, 2 phosban reactors 1 with carbon and 1 with rowa, 18watt turbo-twist uv and a posiedon ps4 return (this is also my reef tank.) Does this sound like a good setup for a octo? Well here are some poor quality pics of the guy with hopes that maybe someone could I.D. this guy.
unknownocto2.jpg

uknownocto3.jpg

uknownocto1.jpg

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com:welcome:

I can't tell too much from the pics - how large is your octo (length of arms, length of body)? Did you buy it from an LFS and if so, do they know where it came from?

Good filtration and a protein skimmer are important, which you seem to have. Most likely the tank is large enough. What are your water parameters? Looks like he has live rock for a den, too.

Nancy

His mantle is at most about 2'' or so. He's maybe like 5 inches when its fully extended with its arms. I bought him from the octopus garden and they did not know where he was from. Water parametrs are salinty 1.025, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, phos 0, temp is about 79, I keep the parameters great in this tank as it also my reef tank.

Well I can at least comment a little more on the behavior now. It likes to sit with its front 2 arms pulled up over its head and between its eyes. It seems to have none if very little webbing between its tenticles. Not very active at all throughout the day so far. I can see it sort of scurry around in the rocks during the day though when I add food for the damsel, crabs, and snails but thats the extent of the day movement. I havn't seen it come out into the open once since its been in my tank but it does move around in the rocks at night. Its seems to usually have a dark brown to light brown pattern with some creamish colored blothces and thats about all I can think off right now. Hope this helps to I.D.

Is the octopus mostly nocturnal?

Looks a lot like bocki or related species

jojo said:
His mantle is at most about 2'' or so. He's maybe like 5 inches when its fully extended with its arms. I bought him from the octopus garden and they did not know where he was from. Water parametrs are salinty 1.025, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, phos 0, temp is about 79, I keep the parameters great in this tank as it also my reef tank.

nitrate 0 ?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back