New octo is shy

octoqueen

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi everyone. I've posted before with some previous octopi (or octopuses :smile: questions, but its been a while. I moved to college and got involved in the marine lab up here. I am helping out with the oct tank and we just got one in three weeks ago. He is eating fine and seems to be doing well as far as my experience tells me. But he just won't come out. I know he is probably nocturnal, or there is a possibility that he is a juvenile, but does anyone have an idea on how maybe I can coax him out. I realize this is normal octopus behavior, but everyone in the lab is dying to see him. We also give tours occationally and I think the kids that come in would love to interact with him. I put some toys in there thinking maybe he would venture out, but it didn't work. Any ideas on how to get him to switch his schedule would be great.
Thanks
Kami

He must be active at night, as I hardly ever see him out during the day. He can make his mantle pointy, but mostly its rounded. The only behaviors I have see is the typical bobbing of the head when I am lucky enough to see him take the shrimp from my stick.

Upvote 0
Actually I looked at pictures of both these species and it looks nearly identicle to A. aculeatus. A. abaculus was a little too stuby. The pics of A. aculeatus matched the typical color I have seen him display as well as some of the postures. Thanks a bunch for helping.
kami

Upvote 0
Photos can be very deceiving and the first ones I noted on Google don't look at all like the animal (par for octopuses) that I mentioned. Look at these photos on TONMO by Dr. Roy Caldwell for a more typical look. As I understand postings, it would be very difficult to determine the difference between and adult A. abaculus and a young A. aculeatus visually. Look for photos taken by either Dr. Roy L. Caldwell (TONMO staff Neogonodactylus) or Dr. Christine Huffard (TONMO staff Mucktopus) for your best bet on accurate species representation.

Upvote 0

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back